Search the forum,

Discuss can i make polished porcelain matt? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

L

Louie2010

Calling all experts...

Made the fatal mistake of getting B&Q polished porcelain tiles laid in my kitchen. They were not sealed at the time, and are a total nightmare to keep clean. I realise i could get a heavy duty cleaner then seal myself, but to be honest I think they are just so impractical in a heavy footfall area (back door, wee boy and a cat with mucky paws = constant manky floor).

So... I was wondering if there was anything I could do to them to un-polish them?! Is there anything I could apply to make them matt? Its either that or we lay rubber/vinyl ontop, which I really don't want to do.

.. worst thing is we had to get the back door lifted an inch to get them fitted. Hubby not exactly chuffed! :oops:

Any advice much appreciated.

Cheers.

P

paul flight

:oops:this is a new one have you got any off cutts or spare tiles that you can try applying products to.?:smilewinkgrin:

D

DHTiling

Yes.. you can put a honed finish on them... but you will be better getting someone in to do it..:thumbsup:

L

Louie2010

:oops:this is a new one have you got any off cutts or spare tiles that you can try applying products to.?:smilewinkgrin:

Yip we do have some spare lurking around the garage... what would you suggest we experiment with?

Yes.. you can put a honed finish on them... but you will be better getting someone in to do it..:thumbsup:

What is a honed finish? and what is used to achieve it? We are pretty handy, so could try it ourselves. If we were going to cover it up anyways, nothing lost!

D

DHTiling

Around a 300 to 400 grit diamond pads on a hand polisher or floor polisher and then this will give the honed matt look..

Not easy work as you need to start in low grit and then work tot he 300 to 400 grit and leave no swirl marks..

You can use wet and dry but very tedious hard work on a floor..:mad2:

P

paul flight

try doing a few spare ones first befor tacking that floor you may feel that it is to much for you !!:thumbsup::yikes:

L

Louie2010

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'm by no means work-shy, but it is sounding a bit too complicated (and dusty!) for my unskilled hands :builder2:.

I know these tiles are rubbish, but i either gotta live with them or cover them up. In your opinion, is it worth me going down the heavy duty cleaner and sealing route or cutting my losses? Even if I covered it with rubber, i'm going to have to fill in the grout so not exactly a quick-fix!

Here was me thinking I could buy some magic liquid from B&Q that would 'mattify' my tiles... I can dream I suppose :lol:.

Ta.

Reply to can i make polished porcelain matt? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen