Discuss Your professional thoughts please. in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Sam

-
Reaction score
Hello, we have just had some tiling done. The tiles look ok in the daylight, but when you turn the lights on they don’t look very straight/ flush. When you run your hands over them you can tell where some of the tiles aren’t quite flush. The wall is new and was freshly plastered before tiling, so I was wondering if it was the tiles themselves but when I set them out on a flat surface there is little difference in their depth (please see picture).
I would love to get some advise from any experts. Can anything be done to make them look straighter? Is it just very difficult to achieve a flat finish and this effect is to be expected as the tiles are lit from above? They have charged us £100 per meter (plus vat) labour cost, to which they have commented that the price is generous as they should charged more. Would I be fair in going back to the person who did it to point this out? I wouldn’t want to go back to them if it’s actually a good job fairly priced. Anyone have any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• E06BCE34-F652-47D7-9440-968C983F7AE9.jpeg
    76.7 KB · Views: 84
  • AC8F3E89-67F6-405D-BC89-FFF4B128F91E.jpeg
    69.6 KB · Views: 84
  • 6DBF693B-7511-4BEF-98AC-EFCEEEA22BE3.jpeg
    78.2 KB · Views: 84
  • 0AB42760-ADB3-46AC-BC0F-9197D7E21A32.jpeg
    77.5 KB · Views: 83

Boggs

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
My word, that has to be the worst lippage I have ever seen.
No saving that, needs to be stripped and redone.

B

Bill

The wall isn't flat enough for tiling..... strip the plaster too while you are at it and get it done correctly by a plasterer who has a straight edge.

Tony_C

TF
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
£100 a meter plus VAT! my god. It's Terrible and horribly overpriced. Was this done my a company or a sole trader?

Boggs

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I missed that, £120 a metre!!!

Reaction score
Depending on where you are on the country you should be paying anywhere between £30 to £50/ sq mtr. This in my honest opinion isn’t a very good job. Every single one of these tiles should of been put on and checked with a straight edge/spirit level... they obviously haven’t been, if I were a customer I’d be pretty disappointed with this as a finish.

D

Dumbo

Hello, we have just had some tiling done. The tiles look ok in the daylight, but when you turn the lights on they don’t look very straight/ flush. When you run your hands over them you can tell where some of the tiles aren’t quite flush. The wall is new and was freshly plastered before tiling, so I was wondering if it was the tiles themselves but when I set them out on a flat surface there is little difference in their depth (please see picture).
I would love to get some advise from any experts. Can anything be done to make them look straighter? Is it just very difficult to achieve a flat finish and this effect is to be expected as the tiles are lit from above? They have charged us £100 per meter (plus vat) labour cost, to which they have commented that the price is generous as they should charged more. Would I be fair in going back to the person who did it to point this out? I wouldn’t want to go back to them if it’s actually a good job fairly priced. Anyone have any thoughts? Thanks in advance.
Did the same guy do the plastering as that is rough also

Sam

-
Reaction score
£100 a meter plus VAT! my god. It's Terrible and horribly overpriced. Was this done my a company or a sole trader?

It's a company.
[automerge]1575022382[/automerge]
Thank you everyone for all your feedback! Sadly, it has confirmed all our suspicions. We are really disappointed with the tiling. All your comments are really appreciated and it so helpful to get your expert opinions. This gives us the validation to go back to the company to query both work and costs.

D

Dumbo

You can't really queery costs if you agreed to price before they started work , that's a bit out of order, but also I appreciate their price is , but you should concentrate on work quality

Reply to Your professional thoughts please. in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
andymtl24
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks