Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Wood Effect Plank Tile - 1st row start point? in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi all so I thought I would ask advise on this before starting tomorrow....

Situation is tile the walls in a wetroom with a wood effect plank style porcelain.

Tiles are 900mm x 150mm x 9mm, and the lay is 1/4 brick bond laid horizontally.

Focal point is the window, however on the other side of the room is a shower niche.

After calculating the various vertical set-ups around the window, and following the layout all the way around the room, it looks to me like the best option would be a full tile off the top of the window. As this give a nice large tile (150mm cut to 127mm) on the top row, the bottom of the window has a thinner strip cut of 30mm (not great) and then running to the floor cut should be 120mm. Also running a full tile off the top of the window brings a nice cut to the shower niche on the opposite side of the room. You can see in the pictures a pencil mark on the top of the window for the layout, and I hold a tile up to give you the idea....

But my question is how do I start? Normally I would batten (using my levels) the first full row up from the floor and leave the bottom row cuts till last on wall. But my concern is that with this tile being the size that it is there is a lot of tiles stacked until I reach the top of the window, and I am worried that I will be "out" by the time I get all the way up there?

Where do you suggest I start and how????
DSC_3272.JPG
DSC_3265.JPG
DSC_3266.JPG
DSC_3267.JPG

OP
O

Old Mod

Just lay your tiles out on the floor with spacers to the correct height of the window from the first full tile off the floor and get a piece of timber and make a staff, marking all the tiles along its length.
Draw your datum line around the room where you want the tile to finish, place your staff on the line and mark the wall at the bottom.
That will give you your starting point.
If you mark the the wall at a couple of extra places up your staff, you can track your progress as you tile up the wall.
If your datum line is level and your staff is marked correctly, you shouldn't go wrong.

OP
S

Spare Tool

Just lay your tiles out on the floor with spacers to the correct height of the window from the first full tile off the floor and get a piece of timber and make a staff, marking all the tiles along its length.
Draw your datum line around the room where you want the tile to finish, place your staff on the line and mark the wall at the bottom.
If you mark the the wall at a couple of extra places up your staff, you can track your progress as you tile up the wall.
If your datum line is level and your staff is marked correctly, you shouldn't go wrong.
Beat me too it...but what he said :)

OP
B

Bill

That wall below the window looks like it isn't flat with the part of the wall to the right, make sure you sort that out too.

OP
S

Spare Tool

Thought datums and staffs were soooo last year :)

OP

That wall below the window looks like it isn't flat with the part of the wall to the right, make sure you sort that out too.
Should be flat as plasterer spent ages getting it right (learning curve there, would of been much more cost effective for me to hardie backer the walls,,,, good job im just learning). If you are refering to the blue section its where I just used up the last of what was in the tanking pot.... you know when you just have some left and your like... "where can I put this last bit"...

OP
B

Bill

Should be flat as plasterer spent ages getting it right (learning curve there, would of been much more cost effective for me to hardie backer the walls,,,, good job im just learning). If you are refering to the blue section its where I just used up the last of what was in the tanking pot.... you know when you just have some left and your like... "where can I put this last bit"...
I am just looking at the floor tiles that run into the wall, it looks like the wall has a 'step' in it. Put a straight edge across the wall to check for and bumps and hollows, as with these planks, the flatter the walls, the easier it is.

OP
S

Spare Tool

As for datum line running around the room off the top of the window so you guys use levels marked on the walls or a self leveling laser? I was thinking about investing in this for the job;

Stabila LAX 50 Self Levelling Laser

Or the FATMAX version?
It doesn't matter where your datum line is on the wall long as it meets up all the way round, put a mark on the staff and use that mark to set your battons off the datum line

OP

I am just looking at the floor tiles that run into the wall, it looks like the wall has a 'step' in it. Put a straight edge across the wall to check for and bumps and hollows, as with these planks, the flatter the walls, the easier it is.
Oh yeah I can see what you are referring too now. Just checked it, seams to be nice and flat, however my mosaics do certainly "fluctuate" along that cut line. Could be my silicone line not being to consistent thats giving that impression? As it will be lost by the wall tile I wasnt too concerned with the silicone finish, just thought I would add that in there for the flexibility as I didn't grout to the wall.

OP
B

Bill

Oh yeah I can see what you are referring too now. Just checked it, seams to be nice and flat, however my mosaics do certainly "fluctuate" along that cut line. Could be my silicone line not being to consistent thats giving that impression? As it will be lost by the wall tile I wasnt too concerned with the silicone finish, just thought I would add that in there for the flexibility as I didn't grout to the wall.
Have you put the straight edge across the whole width of the wall?

Reply to Wood Effect Plank Tile - 1st row start point? in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock