Discuss wonky new wall in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

L

learnerdriver

Hi, I'm hoping someone can give me their opinion on this situation. I have an 1850s house currently being renovated. We've moved the bathroom to a new room and my builder has just boarded, plastered and tiled the new bathroom, including tanking and tiling the floor to fit a wet area at one end of the room.

We've now reached the time to source the glass shower panel and wall surface channel but my builder tells me the wall is not very plumb so the channel needs 25mm tolerance. I'm finding it very hard to source something to suit this so if anyone knows of a supplier I'd be very grateful!

My main question is though, is it acceptable to have a 25mm out of plumb wall after it's been newly boarded, plastered and tiled?

Thanks very much for any insight you can share.

C

Colour Republic

How was it boarded? Directly on to old stud work or was it dot and dabbed on to block work?

if the latter then no 25mm is huge and should have easily been sorted out.

if it was on to old stud work then he has just followed that but to be honest I would have taken the opportunity to straighten it up if you've taken the room that far back.

but you say this is a wet area? I assume its just a glass panel and not a shower enclosure? If so then get aluminium or stainless steel 'U' channel, fix to the wall then have the glass cut to size taking in to account the 25mm out of level.

personally I sink the U channel in to the wall before tiling so it looks as if the glass is floating out of the wall but it sounds as if its too late for that.

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
If its a 1850s house it could be a random rubble wall CR

ive seen them far far far more out of plumb than that,he could of plumbed it as much as he could,sometimes you can't get em perfect especially in a v old house.
Or he could just be really rough ;)

Ps i did a shower the other week and the door had a 25mm tolerance, im sure you couuld get a glass panel the same

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Reaction score
My main question is though, is it acceptable to have a 25mm out of plumb wall after it's been newly boarded, plastered and tiled?

Answer = No

If it's a stud wall, rebuild it plumb, if it's brick there are many ways to rectify. To be out by 25mm over 6' after it's been reboarded is, IMHO, unacceptable.

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
U know what lads i plastered a cottage last year, built in 1750 or something, the bathroom walls were that far out the women had to get a screen made,the opening was that far out, we couldnt plumb the wall from top to bottom would make the opening too small if u get my meaning.
Exactly the same problem for the kitchen, kitchen bloke(hand made kitchen, had to chop his units)
I don't know wether this is the same problem here but to work to BS is just that BS in some cases

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Reaction score
I'm sure there's some cases where things aren't possible as you say Widler. But this is 25mm out after it's been re-boarded.

From the OP it sounds to me like this is tray or wet-room........

my builder has just boarded, plastered and tiled the new bathroom, including tanking and tiling the floor to fit a wet area at one end of the room.

We've now reached the time to source the glass shower panel and wall surface channel but my builder tells me the wall is not very plumb so the channel needs 25mm tolerance

This isn't an enclosure. It's a brick wall that's been boarded to create a walk-in area from the sounds of it. No excuse for a builder not to be able to sort this. But to be fair in this instance it could be a factor that being an old building the floor could be what is running out, and the new boarding could be level. But either way i can't see any reason for it to be out by an inch over 6 feet. 1/4" maybe at most.

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I agree ali,but folks have been quoting BS when really all they are are guide lines,and can't be adhered to in a lot of circumstances.
Like i said if this is the case of a brick or timber wall then yes its a tad wrong ;)

N

NZ_Tiler

The builder should have mentioned the out plum wall before it got to this final stage. Dicussed your options to rectify the problem. The tiles in the internal corner of the shower must show the that the wall is out of plum.?

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Reaction score
The builder should have mentioned the out plum wall before it got to this final stage. Dicussed your options to rectify the problem.

Exactly!, The builder took it back to bare brick. So at what stage between then and finishing the tiling did a level get put on it?

L

learnerdriver

Thanks everyone for sharing your thoughts on this.

He put the new plaster board onto the old plastered wall. I guess I assumed he'd be working to get things as plumb as possible but it's too late to do anything about it now. He's not the type of person to accept any responsibility for a mistake!

Colour Republic, thanks for suggesting getting the panel cut bespoke - I've suggested this to him but he's not happy about having to take responsibility for measuring, he's talking about angles having to be woked out. I guess I'll have to measure it myself, it's not an exact science is it, we're just trying to remove some of the variation in width over a 2m height? I thought if I drop a plumbline at the width point and measure to the wall in a few places from there I'll get the width at the bottom and top of the panel. Does that sound ok?

Thanks again.

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Hi learner,I've just put it in google(glass shower panel with 25mm tolerance) and found a panel straight way.i would put it up here but be easier for you to do it mate ;)
Hope this helps

Reply to wonky new wall in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Northern Tiler
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks