Discuss Window tile trim-to-tile grout line? in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Hi guys just a quick one, i have read other threads about grout between trim and tile, seems about a 50 50 split concensus, but in this case, grout between window trim and tile or not?
Of course I would have to shorten the center piece to allow for grout space.
Also, if a grout line is left, should it be 2mm like the rest of the joints, or smaller?
Keen to hear some thoughts!
20210108_171405.jpg
20210108_171509.jpg
20210108_171536.jpg

Reaction score
I don’t leave a gap, imo it looks pants.
Ok thanks Dave good to know. I was wondering though if the chip and the small void between the tile and the trim (3rd photo) may influence you the other way, that is, maybe it would look better with a grout line to disguise the void in this case...? Or maybe not!

Reaction score
I generally do leave a gap, especially if its a niche in a wet area.

Don't forget to seal them tiles before grouting
Seal tiles before grouting you say...i have never heard about that 😳 ...I did seal the wall with acrylic primer.

The gap that you leave, is that a full width gap (like the regular tile grout lines), or smaller?

Cheers

Cris

TF
Reaction score
if u not leaving gap for grout between tile and trim then put a bead of clear silicone where tile butts upto trim. otherwise theres potential for water to get behind tile if in wet area

Reaction score
Seal tiles before grouting you say...i have never heard about that 😳 ...I did seal the wall with acrylic primer.

The gap that you leave, is that a full width gap (like the regular tile grout lines), or smaller?

Cheers
I generally leave a gap of around 2mm, enough to get a nice bit of grout or silicone into.

Your tile is a glazed crackle, if your not careful the grout could stick into that crackle and discolour it, for the sake of a bottle of sealant its worth doing. Just google glaze crackle sealer or nip into your local tile shop and ask them for something ..

Reaction score
I generally leave a gap of around 2mm, enough to get a nice bit of grout or silicone into.

Your tile is a glazed crackle, if your not careful the grout could stick into that crackle and discolour it, for the sake of a bottle of sealant its worth doing. Just google glaze crackle sealer or nip into your local tile shop and ask them for something ..
Wow ok, thanks for the tip! Although the its a crackle glaze, it seams to have no fine cracks on the final glaze finish... as if there was an initial crackle glaze and then a final clear glaze to protect it. Just thought that may be worth mentioning 🤔

hk940

Arms
Reaction score
Sealing the tile before grouting is goo advice. depending on the color of your grout (Darker is more of a problem black the worst!).
test it on a piece before grouting.
It looks like your window trim is metal and already installed, a tip for future installs is if the window trim is wood rabbit the back to the thickness of the installed tile and install after tiling, that eliminates any gap.

Reply to Window tile trim-to-tile grout line? in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks