Discuss Will I need an expansion joint? in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Steve B

TF
Reaction score
Hi
This is my 1st post so thanks for any advice in advance.
I have a floor to tile through 3 rooms totalling 60mtrs sq - my 1st one this big, with plank effect tiles and through multiple rooms so Im sweating a bit. The tiles are 22cm x 90cm.
would I need expansion gaps aas the runs are more than 5mtrs?
If I put them accross the openings A and B they should not stand out too much. A should not be too tricky if one is needed as the tiles will give me a line to silicone down/ fit a gap strip.
For B, I suppose Id have to fit a threshold strip of tiles at 90degrees ( as in yellow) to make it look deliberate and OK.
Any thoughts and advice would be appreciated.
1568125614416.png

Tile Fix Direct

TF
TF Official Sponsor
Reaction score
Expansion joints to A and E plus round the perimeters (leave gap and put skirting over). Ideally expansion should extend through screed.If expansion joints are already in screed you could also use Kerakoll Green Pro and use silicone on nearest joint.

O

Old Mod

Is the floor heated?
What is the substrate, screed or timber?
Separating the sunroom from the dining room from the dinning room would be a good idea regardless.
A heated floor shouldn’t contain bays larger than 40m2 8m x 5m

Steve B

TF
Reaction score
Thanks, the floor has underfloor heating and is concrete. Don't know whether screed already has expansion joints.
Do i need to cover the whole floor in the kerakoll matting 1st before tiling?
[automerge]1568187664[/automerge]

Last edited:

Reply to Will I need an expansion joint? in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alex Carr
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks