Discuss Wife wants to do the tiling... in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

T

tim_n

We're about to redo our kitchen and potentially our two bathrooms and whilst I have no problems doing the kitchen install (it's only making sure you measure and cut carefully...) Tiling is not my forte.

I thought about doing a course, however having spoken to my wife about it, she's interested in doing it herself and if it's less work for me I certainly don't mind - after all I tend to get stuck with all the DIY jobs and she has plenty of holiday to do a course.

We're in Essex and a few people used to recommend PTS in Harlow, however it seems to have changed to STC and the old trade that was there has moved on. Is there anywhere in East Essex (southend way) that is better or is Harlow still the best bet? I had seen a few comments on the assessments for NVQ's being a bit rubbish, but we're not looking for qualifications, just the ability to do a bit of DIY properly... so probably just a weeks course to get some basics down.

Thoughts?

nybor62

TF
Reaction score
welcome

have i understood you correctly , one of you will do a tiling course so u can do your own tiling, if so would,nt it be better just to pay a pro to do it
good luck with which ever way to choose to go

T

tim_n

It's a fair point, but what's the rate of a tiler these days? I would assume a single room would be a couple of hundred in labour?

G

Gazzer

Its all very well doing the course if you like DIY and the course gives you the experience necessary but i feel you will do the course for £*** and then have to get all materials at retail prices or there abouts. You then have to tile the job which with the best will in the world will take you probably 5 times longer than a professional, you will also make lots of mistakes along the way as do lots of newbies when they finish their courses.

Of course you may prove me wrong but why not pay a professional saving the course money and job is done and dusted ASAP ?

K

Knackered Knees

My missus asked me to teach her how to tile. She said "We can spend more time together", "Like I need that??" Answering that question quietly to myself. In the end I agreed. "I got a grout job you can help me with" I explained. "Great" the missus replied. She lasted a whole 2 hours. Completely wrecked her fingernails and hairdo. Haven't heard a peep from her since LOL!!

T

tim_n

My wife is quite practical and a lot more artistic than me. I can get something done practically, but asthetics aren't my strong point.

Our last bathroom I got fitted by a general builder. I bought all the materials and gear and he did the full refit for about £1,100. It took six days. I couldn't have taken the time off to do the work myself, but this time I have a 2nd bathroom, so can do 'without' so can do a bit at a time.

T

Time's Ran Out

My wife works alongside me ( that's not strictly true - I set it up and she does the work) when we do commissions for mosaic Logo's and she gets all the money!
As for bathroom/kitchen tiling my son works alongside me (that's not strictly true - I do all the work).
To learn the basics of tiling, a course would be very worthwhile and she will enjoy it and then you have this Tilers Forum, which is here to help with friendly free advice! Enjoy.

kilty55

TF
Arms
Reaction score
hi tim ,wish you all the best(sorry the wife) all the best if she chooses to do her course and you will get lots of advice here,i do agree with other comments though that the cost of a course and also all the tools which are expensive to do full bathrooms to a good standard you would be as well getting a pro in .

either way all the best and keep us posted

C

CJ CERAMICS

Hi there Tim....sorry to follow thread but i do think that unless your wife is considering taking up tiling as a career the money you would spend on the course, materials and tools would be better used to get a pro in.

chris

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
When I first read the post I thought 'nothing wrong with that', then I realised I'd misread it. I thought it said 'wife wants to do the ironing'

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I was going to add that I don't mind a bit of ironing myself and when my wife is looking over my shoulder its only fair that I should.

Reply to Wife wants to do the tiling... in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
hoponbaby
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks