Discuss Why sand and cement for shower trays? in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
I have a Simpsons/Crosswater 1100 X 900, low profile, stone resin shower tray to fit.
My question is, why do the manufacturers insist on a sand cement bed when sand and cement tends to crack, shrink and not stick to wood very well?

My father in law is a bricky by trade and he seems to think it is strange that they insist on S/C, when it is not unknown to use flexible tile adhesives on wedi boards etc in wet rooms.

Would there be a greater risk of the S/C cracking and needing the warranty on the tray than the risk of not following the manufacturer's instructions, using a flexible adhesive that never gives way?

What would you use and have you ever had any call backs to either?

Thanks in advance for your comments and advice.

F

Flintstone

I don't fit trays generally but I've fitted one or two and I used an S2 adhesive.

D

Dumbo

I have fitted many trays with flexible adhesive and never had a comeback , but much the same as tiling you must get a good coverage on the tray as if it fails it will good the warranty .

Boggs

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Always S1/S2 adhesive here, always clean the back of the tray to remove the dust.

Bopster

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
Flex adhesive here to.
With s/c a tray would be easy to lift of if ever required. In adhesive if ever required to lift it maybe harder, much harder

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
It's not about sticking it down it's about giving it a solid level base.

acaciaguy

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I once fitted a toilet with s1. I was doing a cloakroom and found the toilet was cemented in. Why have they done that i thought. Further investigation determined there was a gas pipe running under the bog. So s1 it was. I think the flex adhesive helps for the use of the toilet. I would use under tray

Wayne Brown

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I always bed them down with a flexible powdered adhesive treat it as a big tile as stated above remove the dust from the back of the tray from manufacture. If it's to support the tray on legs maybe ? then a sand and cement screed is the norm. Kop

Reply to Why sand and cement for shower trays? in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks