Discuss why i never charge a day rate unless ripping up a floor in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

J

jonnyc

Interesting point. If you don't mind me asking, what's your method? I suppose with different thickness it's not in your interest to use a standard notch.

Do you pour a continuous bed and beat to the same level?
peter

just lay down a bed however you like and then work the tile or stone in to it till you can see you havea full bed and level tile. usually tell by seeing the adhesive coming out of sides but you know from experience really.
ive had an adhesive rep round couple of times when had problems with floors cracking and we have taken tiles up for him. explained what we did and they had no problem how you bed tile as long as you get enough coverage

T

Time's Ran Out

Now I understand about Gary's post where many years ago stone masons were required and Tilers need not apply, but that works the other way as well, stone workers are not Tilers!
However those seperate trades have crossed over now and experienced Tilers should be able to fix all forms of tiling and thickness is not an issue. The only determining factor is the surface finish and if laid to tolerances laid down by British Standards then that's job done!
I accept that there are different skill sets with different materials but a 600x600 white polished porcelain is more of a challenge than a honed stone. Imo.

C

charlie1

peter

just lay down a bed however you like and then work the tile or stone in to it till you can see you havea full bed and level tile. usually tell by seeing the adhesive coming out of sides but you know from experience really.
ive had an adhesive rep round couple of times when had problems with floors cracking and we have taken tiles up for him. explained what we did and they had no problem how you bed tile as long as you get enough coverage

Why don't you use a notched trowel johnny? Don't you feel the ribs collapse enough for your stone?

T

The D

Now I understand about Gary's post where many years ago stone masons were required and Tilers need not apply, but that works the other way as well, stone workers are not Tilers!
However those seperate trades have crossed over now and experienced Tilers should be able to fix all forms of tiling and thickness is not an issue. The only determining factor is the surface finish and if laid to tolerances laid down by British Standards then that's job done!
I accept that there are different skill sets with different materials but a 600x600 white polished porcelain is more of a challenge than a honed stone. Imo.
mabe i have just lost mt bottle.

T

Time's Ran Out

mabe i have just lost mt bottle.

I doubt that - your JOTY entry / winner was a stone job but I bet you didn't check the thickness of every piece, you just fix them and it's the finished plane that is all your interested in.

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Reaction score
I doubt that - your JOTY entry / winner was a stone job but I bet you didn't check the thickness of every piece, you just fix them and it's the finished plane that is all your interested in.

Probably can't remember TJ, it only took him 20 minutes, with a coffee and smoke break ;);)

Just jesting Deano.

T

The D

ok let me put it this way the tolerance for stone is 10% so if it is 20mm you have + or - 2mm tolerance that is 4mm or 3mm on a 15mm stone but to me that is the absolute outside limit a good quality stone should be well within that. when we start talking about 5 and 6 mm difference in thickness that is slab laying and not something i am interested in. i will leave that to the ones that can. Although it has been my experience that a lot of the ones that say they can actually can't. the ones that actually can i take my hat of to them but it is still something i am not prepared to do.

Reply to why i never charge a day rate unless ripping up a floor in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alex Carr
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks