Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Why do i need an nvq by 2010? in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Please checkout the following advertisement.
Been tile for awhile now and have had good feedback from customers on jobs done however im not that busy all the time and the cost of an nvq seems high. I only do domestic work so would i need it or is it just if you work on site? plus if i do can i offset the cost against my tax? Any advise would be much appreciated guys.

OP
T

The D

Discuss our systems? Lol - Ok, you can discuss our systems with CAA if you like, because we really haven't got time to show you how to run your business.
It's quite simple really - 6 week ICA (underpinning knowledge) followed by an NVQ2. A minimum 20 week period has to have gone before they can be accredited with an NVQ pass. Maximum of 2 years.
Fully endorsed, accredited, signed, stamped and sealed by ALL RANKS at the CAA.
Were moving on from this thread now as it is as simple as that really.
:)
I mention the LSC and the TTA because I happen to know some people who work for those organisations and probably know the answer to the question “how can you get an NVQ2 with no experience”?? I do not mean to rub people up the wrong way I guess it’s just a knack I have.
It is my understanding that an NVQ is work-based assessment. You are assessing a person’s competence in the trade. Competence is shown through the work-based evidence of activates frequently carried out. So how dose that equate to getting an NVQ with no experience?
I am not questioning the fact that you are accredited neither am I questioning you as a centre.
You invited me to come to your centre I did not ask you but I would have been willing to come and ask the question face to face.
I have nothing to gain from your systems as I do no get involved with the NVQ at my training centre and never will. I am only interested in you’re statement of being able to give someone with no experience an NVQ. You and I both know that is not the case. Quotes like (It normally takes 12 weeks to complete, unless more site visits are required to gather more performance evidence to satisfy the performance criteria. You have 2 years to complete it, If you have taken part in some form of accredited training, such as a Level 1 NOCN or ASET, then 12 weeks is a very realistic target to get your NVQ2 done, maybe sooner. However, if you have achieved an ICA, then you can get your NVQ2 in 20 weeks from the day you finished the course, maybe sooner. THIS IS BY FAR THE QUICKEST WAY FOR A PERSON TO GET THEIR NVQ2, WHO HAS NO OR LITTLE EXPERIENCE IN THE TRADE.) I am sorry to say I find confusing dare I say misleading. as I said in my post I have not read the full quote but posted like that it is suspect.
I do not require any assistance running my business I have managed quite well so far thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
C

ChaseTiling

i've just done my cscs card scheme & i've not got an NVQ in tile, so i'm not sure you have your “FACTS” correct there m8

:stupid:
What colour is your card? Does it give you the trade on the back of it that you will be operating as?

Because as of 2010 if your caught working out of your card and qualification scope, you and your employer will be fined.

OP
C

ChaseTiling

I mention the LSC and the TTA because I happen to know some people who work for those organisations and probably know the answer to the question “how can you get an NVQ2 with no experience”?? I do not mean to rub people up the wrong way I guess it’s just a knack I have.
It is my understanding that an NVQ is work-based assessment. You are assessing a person’s competence in the trade. Competence is shown through the work-based evidence of activates frequently carried out. So how dose that equate to getting an NVQ with no experience?
I am not questioning the fact that you are accredited neither am I questioning you as a centre.
You invited me to come to your centre I did not ask you but I would have been willing to come and ask the question face to face.
I have nothing to gain from your systems as I do no get involved with the NVQ at my training centre and never will. I am only interested in you’re statement of being able to give someone with no experience an NVQ. You and I both know that is not the case. Quotes like (It normally takes 12 weeks to complete, unless more site visits are required to gather more performance evidence to satisfy the performance criteria. You have 2 years to complete it, If you have taken part in some form of accredited training, such as a Level 1 NOCN or ASET, then 12 weeks is a very realistic target to get your NVQ2 done, maybe sooner. However, if you have achieved an ICA, then you can get your NVQ2 in 20 weeks from the day you finished the course, maybe sooner. THIS IS BY FAR THE QUICKEST WAY FOR A PERSON TO GET THEIR NVQ2, WHO HAS NO OR LITTLE EXPERIENCE IN THE TRADE.) I am sorry to say I find confusing dare I say misleading. as I said in my post I have not read the full quote but posted like that it is suspect.
I do not require any assistance running my business I have managed quite well so far thanks.
Before I start my reply, please don't associate our thinking as the same as yours. Because clearly it's not. Thats not us being funny, its just that we seem to be more informed from the CAA than what you currently are. :)

ICA to NVQ = MINIMUM of 26 weeks - up to 2 years. (6 week full time ICA followed by ON SITE assessment & 5 Work Based Records of past jobs, including references). Those WBR's are verified and if necessary, physically checked by the assessor. If not satisfactory, then more WBR's and Observations are required, to meet the Performance Criteria. This means that within that 20 week period after your ICA, you have to collect your evidence and references and have your observations. The CAA state that a PORTFOLIO OF EVIDENCE cannot be submitted for verification and accreditation until 20 WEEKS HAVE PASSED AFTER THE COMPLETION OF THE ICA.

EXPERIENCED WORKER to NVQ = MINIMUM OF 12 WEEKS - Must have 3 years TRACKABLE work experience. Then submit 5 WBR's & Refereces, minimum of 3 on site visits, current CV and any other accredited prior learning that is going to assist them in achieving the NVQ. 12 WEEKS MUST PASS AS A MINIMUM BEFORE A PORTFOLIO OF EVIDENCE CAN BE SUBMITTED FOR ACCREDITATION & VERIFICATION.

We have had plenty of people do the 26 week programme and achieve their NVQ2. With the system that has been approved by the CAA.

:)

OP
D

DARRELL

i've just done my cscs card scheme & i've not got an NVQ in tile, so i'm not sure you have your “FACTS” correct there m8

:stupid:
Hi I thought you had to have nvq level 2 and when did you sit your test. I phoned my test centre and they said I missed the grandfather rights and had to sit my nvq level 2.Please let me now how you did it as I have been tile for 12 years now and I ant going back to school to learn something I all ready now. I could proberly tell the tutor a thing or 2 .Thanks Darrell

Last edited by a moderator:

UKTT Darren

TF
TF Official Sponsor
Subscribed
Reaction score
You could do your EWPAR NVQ2 assessment with us in a one day assessment at the centre and thats it, no tuition just do a job task and the recorded discussion, as long as you have the proof of work history, 5 years

OP
F

Fred

Tell me how are they going to enforce this? Are all the builder I work for suddenly going to stop using me! Scare mungers by a certain training company, who wants to keep his at the top.............all c--p if you ask me.

OP
W

White Room

I uesd to have a cscs on grandfather rights when they first came out, never got asked for it and let it lapse

OP
D

David - Tradetiler

From what I have heard this has all reversed in places like Germany

Correct me if I am wrong

They had all the very strict qualification rules but then gradualy found all the new young people couldn't be bothered to learn trades etc. They all wanted top paying jobs sitting on there backsides all day in front of a computer. What happened was the few qualified tilers (a bit like the Corgi Reg= pay me triple plumbing situation) just ripped customers off. The govenmant de-regulated the whole thing as it just was not working.

The UK is in a cycle 10 yeas behind. We will be back to where we are now in 15 years after we have decided it didn't work.

OP
C

ChaseTiling

What qualification does it say that you have on the back of your card? And what colour is it? :)

OP
G

graham31

What a read this was start to finish,conflicting opinion and prob not the last we'll hear of this subject.

But my 10pence worth is tradesmen will not be bothered with the hassle of getting an NVQ and the ones that do will be paid handsomely on site as their could be a shortage.As for the other they will just flood the domestic market and jobs will get cheaper.Benefits Joe public so they will prob not bother weather you are NVQ qualified or not.

That's my thought right or wrong

Reply to Why do i need an nvq by 2010? in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
chris14498
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock