Discuss Why are my new tiles bowing out and cracking? Please help! in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Has567

-
Reaction score
My newly tiled bathroom wall has presented a few issues in the last few days. Some of the tiles appear to be popping off with cracked grout lines and where this has occurred there is some bowing of the wall. I also have a tile in the bottom left corner that has cracked down the surface. This is the second tile placed in this position to crack in this way.

What might be going on? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• 20211211_181405.jpg
    292.9 KB · Views: 51
  • 20211211_181401.jpg
    256.6 KB · Views: 48

Has567

-
Reaction score
:)
Have you any pictures of the walls before they were tiled? Or what is behind those tiles?
I don't have any pictures but I believe there are horizontal pipes in the wall. The wall is an original brick wall with plasterboard on top and a skim coat.

Reaction score

I don't have any pictures but I believe there are horizontal pipes in the wall. The wall is an original brick wall with plasterboard on top and a skim coat.
Those loose tiles would need to be removed to see what is going on behind, its looks at the minute only the grout is holding the tiles in place. What reason were you given for the first tile cracking?

Has567

-
Reaction score

Those loose tiles would need to be removed to see what is going on behind, its looks at the minute only the grout is holding the tiles in place. What reason were you given for the first tile cracking?
Thanks, we will give that a go. We weren't really given a reason for the first break and assumed ourselves that the tiler had somehow caused it to break.

Reaction score

Thanks, we will give that a go. We weren't really given a reason for the first break and assumed ourselves that the tiler had somehow caused it to break.
Get the tiler back to have a look at it, I wouldn't touch anything until he's there and you can both get to the bottom of it. best of luck 👍

Reply to Why are my new tiles bowing out and cracking? Please help! in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks