Discuss Who's got their Tiling NVQ now? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

S

STINGRAY30

i did the nvq level 2.

dont get me wrong, i now know how to tile after doing the course!!

its great to have the certificate for it!!

but you def learn more out in the big bad world. like all the probs you run into while tiling ie damaged walls, uneven floors etc.

as in the college the walls and floors were square and even.

B

Bolter

Why was it a waste of time?

It was a waste of someones money not time (but probably that aswell)

I was working as a tiler, was then told needed an NVQ to get a cscs card to allow me onsite. So initially, before I knew there was funding, I was told it was going to be close to £700 after vat to get it, plus the cost of the H&S certificate. So Im busy saving for this, and then I realise there is funding available. But in any case, a guy came out to me, made me fill in a whole ream of paperwork that didnt really apply much to actual tiling, took 7 photos of me in various positions (oo-er missus!) and I get a certificate.

Didnt witness me tiling and £100 per staged photo = an NVQ? Waste of someones money.

BUT, not really a waste of time, because funnily enough I need it to get onsite.

P

Prem Tiler

It was a waste of someones money not time (but probably that aswell)

I was working as a tiler, was then told needed an NVQ to get a cscs card to allow me onsite. So initially, before I knew there was funding, I was told it was going to be close to £700 after vat to get it, plus the cost of the H&S certificate. So Im busy saving for this, and then I realise there is funding available. But in any case, a guy came out to me, made me fill in a whole ream of paperwork that didnt really apply much to actual tiling, took 7 photos of me in various positions (oo-er missus!) and I get a certificate.

Didnt witness me tiling and £100 per staged photo = an NVQ? Waste of someones money.

BUT, not really a waste of time, because funnily enough I need it to get onsite.

Where did the assessor visit you on a job?

B

Bolter

Where did the assessor visit you on a job?

Yes on a job. Was very pleasant, knew his stuff, and infact was telling me what to put down before I had a chance to do it. Not complaining, just think it was a bit of a waste of someones money from my point of view.

D

diamondtiling

I had an assessor visit me at my tile supplier, we used the warehouse for the test, He was very knowledgeable, I did the wall tiling with the arch and the diamond infill, then the small area of floor tiling, there are questions at the end and its recorded, what I would say to bolter is why did you not question him regarding his un-ethical approach to teaching, this only reinforces the need for regulation and control for the tiling Industry. That guy needs reporting and struck off as an assessor.

:thumbsdown:

P

PRE CERAMICS

had a cscs card since they started as a wall and floor tiler accreditation B expired last year got round to renewing it after 6 months passed the H&S test sent of the form got back a basic site skills only card told that because i not renewed my card within 6 months i must do a NVQ can So i went from a skilled workers card to basic skills only what to do next?

P

Prem Tiler

In ref to Bolters exsperiance, At a guess I think he could probable see straight away you are the real mccoy and knew you would be more than capable of tiling safely. He see's tilers and non tilers day in day out and I'm guessing like i'm sure most members on here can tell the good ones from the bad ones.

As for telling you what to put, yes I agree a tad dodgy but some times on these modern assessments there are daft questions that are not always needed and the answers widely know and he probably though it to be wrong for you to fail an assessment because you weren't able to answer said daft question.

Whilst serving in the Army I would have to assess guys who had been serving as many as 15 years longer than I. I knew they were good at there job, but they didn't always know to word things the way the book asks so yes I would point them in the right direction. But if they were bluffing there way through I'd spot it a mile off and let them fall at the first hurdle.

B

Bolter

In ref to Bolters exsperiance, At a guess I think he could probable see straight away you are the real mccoy and knew you would be more than capable of tiling safely. He see's tilers and non tilers day in day out and I'm guessing like i'm sure most members on here can tell the good ones from the bad ones.

As for telling you what to put, yes I agree a tad dodgy but some times on these modern assessments there are daft questions that are not always needed and the answers widely know and he probably though it to be wrong for you to fail an assessment because you weren't able to answer said daft question.

Whilst serving in the Army I would have to assess guys who had been serving as many as 15 years longer than I. I knew they were good at there job, but they didn't always know to word things the way the book asks so yes I would point them in the right direction. But if they were bluffing there way through I'd spot it a mile off and let them fall at the first hurdle.

Thats probably pretty much spot on mate, thanks :)

S

Spud

when i got my first cs cs card it was an industry accreditation type b and was gold, i then got my level 3 nvq through onsite assessment from smarter builder this was in 2005, a guy called Adam from wales assessed me he really knew his stuff,it took about 6 months from start to finish i was told i didnt have to have the nvq as i was industry accredited and that was the same as level 3 but its good to have it all the same and i hope to do the next level when , if ever ,it becomes available

B

Bazley

2010 but this is already being asked by some of the major construction sites i've worked on along with the cscs card.
Gonna be a worker shortage as several old tilers i know have refused to do theres and will have no choice with this goverment rule that next year they'll have to give up and get a job at tescos.

W

White Room

There's about three months before 2010, I can't see there's going to be enough tradesmen passing the nvq2 before then. How many guys as Bazley states will not bother as one of 30+ tiler I know.

Reply to Who's got their Tiling NVQ now? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks