Discuss White trim - aluminium or plastic? in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

M

Morgan Ereku

Mum's bathroom is getting re-tiled. It's in a 150 x 75 marble effect porcelain tile.

For the shelf we want to use trim. She wants it as clean looking as possible and would rather it blends in, so doesn't want silver or some such.

The two options we're trying to decide on is white aluminum trim or white plastic trim like this. Any advice on the following?

1. What looks better?
2. Does the white aluminum trim scratch? If it does, does it mean it's better off going for plastic? I can't imagine we'd change the bathroom for at least 10 years.
3. If the plastic doesn't look good, but the white aluminum trim tends to scratch, should we re-consider and get silver aluminum.
4. Is there an option we're missing?

Thanks!

M

Morgan Ereku

I normally would get tiles mitred, but I've heard that mitred tiles can get chipped with usage.

While it's always a possibility, is this overly cautious?

The clean look is certainly our preference.

The tiles are an Italian import - Ragno Bistrot. The "veneer" (not sure what we call the surface on a porcelain tile?) is thin, only 1mm. Does that make it more likely to chip?

Albert

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
You might like one of these
images

P

Perfect Tiling

Mitring porcelain with a thin veneer can leave a sharp edge that may be easy to chip. The metal white profile is probably painted which can also chip. You would be better off looking for a good quality plastic profile that matches the colour and effect of the tiles

J

J Sid

plastic trim always looks cheap imho and a mitred porcelain shouldn't be sharp. Don't mitre that close to the face and if need sand the edge to smooth / remove any roughness.

Reply to White trim - aluminium or plastic? in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks