Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Which variable speed grinder out of these? Does higher speed mean better cut? in the Tiling Tools - Tile Tools area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

WDavison

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
I'm after a 125mm variable speed grinder. I was going to go for the £150 Metabo at the bottom of the list, because I think the 2000rpm lowest speed would be more useful polishing at least, but it only goes to 7600rpm max. Does that mean a poor cut? Am I better sacrificing the lowest speed possible and going for another on this listwith a higher top rpm?

Got a choice of the following:

Bosch GWX 17-125S £170
  • Output power - 1060w
  • Idle revolution - 2800 - 11500
Bosch GWX 13-125S £150
  • Output power - 700w
  • Idle revolution - 2800 - 11500
Metabo WEV 10-125 £117
  • Output power - 590w
  • Idle revolution - 2800 - 10500
Metabo WEV15-125 £150
  • Output power - 940w
  • Idle revolution - 2.000 - 7600

O

Old Mod

I’d say it depends on what the primary use of the grinder is.
Polishing tile edges is one thing, grinding back the odd bit of high screed is completely different, and requires a different machine.

J

J Sid

For me it's

MAKITA 9565PCV 125MM ANGLE GRINDER WITH PADDLE SWITCH

No Load Speed: 2,800-11,000rpm

OP
W

WDavison

TF
Arms
Reaction score
It'll be for cutting tile, drilling and polishing. Everything else will be done with my other grinder.

Is a higher rpm better or not for those tasks?

J

J Sid

I have had my one for about 10 years and polish, cut, grind and drill and has never let me down

OP
W

WDavison

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I'd go with it but not sure how I'd like the paddle over the switched ones I've aways used, I tend to hold the thing over the top of the blade or near it, when shaping bits of tile in my other hand, rather than the bottom of it.
Sounds like a bad habit after typing it.
[automerge]1579209306[/automerge]
Can you lock the paddle switch on Julian?

J

J Sid

I'd go with it but not sure how I'd like the paddle over the switched ones I've aways used, I tend to hold the thing over the top of the blade or near it, when shaping bits of tile in my other hand, rather than the bottom of it.
Sounds like a bad habit after typing it.
[automerge]1579209306[/automerge]
Can you lock the paddle switch on Julian?
Yes

OP
W

WDavison

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Well I got the Makita and I cant stand the paddle switch for cutting tile. Makes me hold it near the cable end and the thing feels heavy that way. Think I'm going to buy the Flex LE14-11 115 which I'd not seen before, but it's fairly expensive. The Bosch GWS 9-115 is half the price, but 900w, vs the 1400.

OP
W

WDavison

TF
Arms
Reaction score
What do you mean?
I Have two Bosch 7-115e and they take any 115mm blade or disc.
or 125mm polishing pad with guard removed.
Do they have enough grunt to not slow down cutting hard tile, do you find?
I do have the non variable speed version of it, which I've ground the pointing out of two semi's with and it's seems to still be going ok. Not bad for a £60 tool.

O

Old Mod

Do they have enough grunt to not slow down cutting hard tile, do you find?

Slowing down is not something I’ve experienced cutting tile, however, I tried to grind a high spot on a screed, won’t do that again!
Started to smoke and slow in seconds. 🙈

Reply to Which variable speed grinder out of these? Does higher speed mean better cut? in the Tiling Tools - Tile Tools area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tiling Tools

Find the cheapest price for both professional and DIY wall and floor tiling tools in the UK. Brands such as Rubi, Genesis, Fein, Karl Dahm, isomat, Schluter, Tilemaster and more.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
flooringdemand
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock