Discuss Which manual tile cutter? in the Tiling Tools Inc Tile Cutters area at TilersForums.com

M83T

New to TilersForums.com
Reaction score
Hi just starting out in the world of tiling just finished a two weekend course and looking to start doing a few little jobs for myself. Just looking for recommendations for a manual tile cutter.
Happy to spend a couple hundred £ or less want something that is a good starter cutter but one that will be good for future use as my confidence in jobs grows. I used a Rubi TS +43 on my course so I'm between that and a TS +50. I know the out-laws want me to do they're kitchen floor at some point so getting one that would be big enough to cut decent size floor tiles would be good. Any advice gratefully received.

timeless john

Moderator - Professional Tiler
Staff member
Subscribed Member
JOTM Winner
Trusted Advisor
Tilers' Arms Member
Reaction score
Wow!
2 weekend course - take your time and enjoy the experience - I’d choose a Rubi for a start up machine, just push and snap!

OP
M83T

M83T

New to TilersForums.com
Reaction score
Not starting out as a full time job just yet @timeless john!! Just going to do my kitchen then try and build some experience. Really liked the Rubi gear was nice to use!

pdc

Only a Handyman...
Admired Member
Trusted Advisor
Tilers' Arms Member
Reaction score
Sigma 3C3M. 600mm is a common size now and that can accommodate it easily.

Adey1980

Trusted Advisor
Tilers' Arms Member
Reaction score
Try and go to a local tile shop that sells different cutters and have a trial with them, everyone has their own favourite brand.
You should get a minimum of 600mm cutter as this seems a common floor tile size

OP
M83T

M83T

New to TilersForums.com
Reaction score
I'm thinking about if I have to make diagonal cuts so looking for a what would be best on that front.

Boggs

Esteemed Member
Tilers' Arms Member
Reaction score
A Rubi TS would be more friendly for someone starting out, but if you are doing porcelain floors it might not manage too well.
A Sigma would be better for these types of tiles.

Andy Rhodes

TilersForums Helper
Reaction score
In agreement with nothing smaller than 600mm as for make couple lads I know are using montolit they swear by them , personally I got a old TS60 which serves me well ,but go try out a couple of different make at your local tile merchants

impish

Trusted Advisor
Tilers' Arms Member
Reaction score
If you're really going to make a go of tiling, get Sigma. Most tilers move onto them at some point.
The only reason a few professional still use Rubi is that they have long ago learnt how to really use them and get the best out of them.

That, or they're just plain stubborn :p

Andy Rhodes

TilersForums Helper
Reaction score
Up until Rubi moving it's manufacturing to China the other leading tile cutter manufacturers coundn't touch them ,but fair comment used a sigma myself last week and was impressed,but at the moment my old TS60 batting it out if the park ,so as Ray Hartford once quoted if it's not broken why fix it

W

Waluigi

Unregistered (Please Register)
A small Rubi for your metros or smallish tiles is OK but I’d definitely go for either a Sigma, Montolit or Rubi TZ for large tiles. The TZ would be the only large Rubi cutter that I’d consider from that manufacturer.

You’ll probably find yourself using various brands as you build up your tools over the years. I have three Rubi, a couple of Monty and a Sigma. Next purchase will be a Battipav this year.

MissTiler

TTA Tile Fixer of the year winner 2017
JOTM Winner
TTA Member
Tilers' Arms Member
Reaction score
I started off with a Rubi 600 and moved over to Montolits. Have a play with different types in tile shops and trade days if possible.

jcrtiling

Getting away with it
Trusted Advisor
TTA Member
Tilers' Arms Member
Reaction score
Rubi tx isn't a bad cutter but I sold mine to get a sigma 3c3m .

Protiler 68

Admired Member
Esteemed Member
Tilers' Arms Member
Reaction score
Buy a 600 as youl need one ,then you can use it on smaller sizes ,

OP
M83T

M83T

New to TilersForums.com
Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice I appreciate that a sigma would be good but for right now for someone who is only just thinking of starting tiling I think it's slightly over my budget. I see the Rubi Speed 62 N has a max cutting length of 620mm. Anybody got one? If it were my main job I'd be happy to pay out £400-500 but at this moment it's a lot of money.

Boggs

Esteemed Member
Tilers' Arms Member
Reaction score
Montolit 63p3 would be a good cutter and sits between the cheaper Rubi and Sigma in price, £239.94 at Pro Tiler.

jcrtiling

Getting away with it
Trusted Advisor
TTA Member
Tilers' Arms Member
Reaction score
I paid £320 for my sigma 3c3m 720 cm cutter . I know its not as cheap as I could of paid but I got it from one of my preferred local suppliers .
So 4-5 hundred quid definitely not .
You will kick yourself . It's cheap for a reason I high end diy at best

Tiling Tools

Find the cheapest price for both professional and DIY wall and floor tiling tools in the UK. Brands such as Rubi, Genesis, Fein, Karl Dahm, isomat, Schluter, Tilemaster and more.

Tile Advice Blog

Most Replied Threads

Recent Tile Advice Blog Posts

Top Bottom