Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Which manual tile cutter? in the Tile Cutters area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

M83T

TF
Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi just starting out in the world of tile just finished a two weekend course and looking to start doing a few little jobs for myself. Just looking for recommendations for a manual tile cutter.
Happy to spend a couple hundred £ or less want something that is a good starter cutter but one that will be good for future use as my confidence in jobs grows. I used a Rubi TS +43 on my course so I'm between that and a TS +50. I know the out-laws want me to do they're kitchen floor at some point so getting one that would be big enough to cut decent size floor tiles would be good. Any advice gratefully received.

T

Time's Ran Out

Wow!
2 weekend course - take your time and enjoy the experience - I’d choose a Rubi for a start up machine, just push and snap!

G

GoneGuy

Try and go to a local tile shop that sells different cutters and have a trial with them, everyone has their own favourite brand.
You should get a minimum of 600mm cutter as this seems a common floor tile size

OP
M

M83T

TF
Reaction score
I'm thinking about if I have to make diagonal cuts so looking for a what would be best on that front.

Boggs

TF
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
A Rubi TS would be more friendly for someone starting out, but if you are doing porcelain floors it might not manage too well.
A Sigma would be better for these types of tiles.

S

Spare Tool

Would advise to go to for a Sigma or if you want a Rubi go for a TX not a TS, totally different breaking system..

Reaction score
In agreement with nothing smaller than 600mm as for make couple lads I know are using montolit they swear by them , personally I got a old TS60 which serves me well ,but go try out a couple of different make at your local tile merchants

O

One Day

If you're really going to make a go of tile, get Sigma. Most tilers move onto them at some point.
The only reason a few professional still use Rubi is that they have long ago learnt how to really use them and get the best out of them.

That, or they're just plain stubborn :p

Reaction score
Up until Rubi moving it's manufacturing to China the other leading tile cutter manufacturers coundn't touch them ,but fair comment used a sigma myself last week and was impressed,but at the moment my old TS60 batting it out if the park ,so as Ray Hartford once quoted if it's not broken why fix it

W

Waluigi

A small Rubi for your metros or smallish tiles is OK but I’d definitely go for either a Sigma, Montolit or Rubi TZ for large tiles. The TZ would be the only large Rubi cutter that I’d consider from that manufacturer.

You’ll probably find yourself using various brands as you build up your tools over the years. I have three Rubi, a couple of Monty and a Sigma. Next purchase will be a Battipav this year.

M

MTiler

I started off with a Rubi 600 and moved over to Montolits. Have a play with different types in tile shops and trade days if possible.

Reply to Which manual tile cutter? in the Tile Cutters area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
flooringdemand
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock