Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Which electric ufh system in the Tiling on Underfloor Heating area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Bopster

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
Looking for recommendations for a job I looked at yesterday, it’l be a high spec kitchen which will be having a tiled floor on the concrete slab. Now although I have installed plenty of electric ufh in kitchens and bathrooms none of them have been this size.
It’s all one floor area but would be best zoned into kitchen area 20 sqm, dining area 25 sqm and living area 25 sqm
What system would you guys us?
Mats?
Loose wire?
Grid?

Uheat - Jake

TF
TF Official Sponsor
Reaction score
I’d get @Uheat - Jake involved!
Thanks John!

Looking for recommendations for a job I looked at yesterday, it’l be a high spec kitchen which will be having a tiled floor on the concrete slab. Now although I have installed plenty of electric ufh in kitchens and bathrooms none of them have been this size.
It’s all one floor area but would be best zoned into kitchen area 20 sqm, dining area 25 sqm and living area 25 sqm
What system would you guys us?
Mats?
Loose wire?
Grid?

For this area I'd have to recommend a mat system with a SLC and then decoupling on top. The mat is so much easier to lay within such a large space and a lot easier to plan then a loose wire.

Just a heads up as well, 2 of the zones which you want UFH in will need a contactor to switch the loading of the matting as it's over 16amps.

If you'd like a quote please feel free to give me a call.

F

Flintstone

Thanks John!

For this area I'd have to recommend a mat system with a SLC and then decoupling on top. The mat is so much easier to lay within such a large space and a lot easier to plan then a loose wire.

Just a heads up as well, 2 of the zones which you want UFH in will need a contactor to switch the loading of the matting as it's over 16amps.

If you'd like a quote please feel free to give me a call.

I don't think that's the best way to go here, I think a system like ditra heat or one of the many other similar systems, no need for levelling, and your only sticking the mat down and clicking the wires in, much less labour and cost over all.

D

Dumbo

I mostly agree with @Localtiler mats like ditra e or dural cifh I think is the way to go us you get the uncoupling only point i disagree and that's because of personal preference I like to level over but I think we are pretty much singing of the same hymn sheet . Yes mats are quick to throw down in a large area but unless you spend ages sticking them down properly they float up in the levelling comp and I don't care if they are a sticky mat they still do it . In my mind carrier mats are the way forward.

Uheat - Jake

TF
TF Official Sponsor
Reaction score
I mostly agree with @Localtiler mats like ditra e or dural cifh I think is the way to go us you get the uncoupling only point i disagree and that's because of personal preference I like to level over but I think we are pretty much singing of the same hymn sheet . Yes mats are quick to throw down in a large area but unless you spend ages sticking them down properly they float up in the levelling comp and I don't care if they are a sticky mat they still do it . In my mind carrier mats are the way forward.
I value both yours and @Localtiler opinion. Mine option was made up from my customers opinions saying larger areas are easier to do it matting. However as you say the decoupling method has become a lot more popular recently.

You couldn't of tried our mats if they peel up when they're levelled, we've never had one person mention that to us in over 15 years.

Last edited:
D

Dumbo

I value both yours and @Localtiler opinion. Mine option was made up from my customers opinions saying larger areas are easier to do it matting. However as you say the decoupling method has become a lot more popular recently.

You couldn't of tried our mats if they peel up when they're levelled, we've never had one person mention that to us in over 15 years.
Just because you haven't heard it doesn't mean it didn't happen . I've never mentioned floating mats to any of my suppliers and I've had a few . Just take steps to make sure it doesn't happen .

Boggs

TF
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
Just done a screed floor with DCM Pro, amazing how much easier it is.

OP
Bopster

Bopster

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
With the grid systems i know it’s a personal choice but where do people stand on slc or tile straight over? For me I like slc over elec as a future proof thing
I like the idea of grids it’s just the material costs are significantly higher

Boggs

TF
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
The material cost of DCM Pro is slightly higher than say sticky matt but you easily claw that back with speed of fitting.

Boggs

TF
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
Yeah, I think it was about £8 sqm more.

Reply to Which electric ufh system in the Tiling on Underfloor Heating area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
BIG_AL
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock