Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Which adhesive would you use do I need an S1 adhesive? in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi
I am renovating my house here in Italy, in the spring I took up the existing floor screed on the first floor and have installed a wet UFH system.
This was screeded using a self-levelling cementitious product from Fassa Bortolo called SA500. The screed was laid on the 23rd May to a thickness of 30mm above the pipes so 50mm in total, it is reinforced with a steel mesh. In terms of flatness and level the finish is very good. The floor has had the summer to dry and it has shrunk away from the contraction joints as anticipated. The first floor uses a typical Italian slab construction of terracotta pots and reinforced concrete (see photo), it is pretty stiff but of course there will be some deflection / vibration.

The tiles we have selected are 600 x 600 x 10mm rectified porcelain, the two main areas are 25 and 18m2 respectively plus an area of corridor 54m2 in total. I will sand the screed in preparation for tile and was planning to use a 10mm notched trowel, back butter the tiles and use levelling spacers but would appreciate your advice here. I would prefer not to use a decoupling membrane.

I am looking for some advice on https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/, the main suppliers here are Mapei and KeraKoll but Laticrete, Weber and Fassa Bortolo are also available. I can buy Fassa Bortolo AZ 59 Flex, which is an S1 https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ at a good price if anyone has experience of this? AZ 59 FLEX - Adesivo monocomponente a buona elasticità, bianco e grigio, per pav - Fassa Bortolo - http://www.fassabortolo.co.uk/en/product/-/p/10/3359/adhesives/az-59-flex-one-component-adhesive-with-good-elasticity-white-and-grey-for-both-exterior-and-interior-floors-and-coatings

I am looking for a nice https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ to use, no need for rapid set. Whilst I am not a tiler I started my career as a plasterer before moving into project management so I have a good understanding of construction and I can make a good job of most things.

By the way what constitutes a large format tile?

Many thanks in advance.

View attachment 1Y5F2659.jpg

View attachment 1Y5F2723.jpg

b_prodotti-1120-relbea1d7500acd488ca9801f32ac74b5da.jpg

I

Italy

keraflex maxi s1 or kerakoll nolimits.
here in Italy they are the best.
do not recommend az59, too hard to clean the debris
and not very flexible.
it costs what it's worth.
kerakoll has no limits, it is not s1, but only for judicial facts.
initially it was sold as an s1.
but it is much better than others s1.
in uk it is sold as s1

OP
R
Reaction score
Many thanks to you both. I know Kerakoll H40 No Limits well I have been using it recently so I am happy to use this.
Am I correct in using a 10mm notched trowel and back butter the tiles, the tiles are 60 x 60cm porcelain?
Antonio which grout do you prefer the area is kitchen / dining and its a heated floor?
2mm joints?
Grazie mille, buona giornata

I

Italy

Many thanks to you both. I know Kerakoll H40 No Limits well I have been using it recently so I am happy to use this.
Am I correct in using a 10mm notched trowel and back butter the tiles, the tiles are 60 x 60cm porcelain? YES
Antonio which grout do you prefer the area is kitchen / dining and its a heated floor? THE NEW FUGABELLA COLOR 50 available colours
2mm joints? YES
Grazie mille, buona giornata
ANCHE A TE :)

15704428107894685735064520164892.jpg

OP
R
Reaction score
Ciao Antonio
Ho finito il pavimento, sono contento secondo me é un grand lavoro. Dimmi ho bisogno di usare una sigillante come Fila sul gres porcelenato lappato?

Grazie
Buona serata Steve

I

Italy

Ciao Antonio
Ho finito il pavimento, sono contento secondo me é un grand lavoro. Dimmi ho bisogno di usare una sigillante come Fila sul gres porcelenato lappato?

Grazie
Buona serata Steve
no, you do not need

Reply to Which adhesive would you use do I need an S1 adhesive? in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock