Discuss which adhesive and cutter? in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
We've got some nice looking porcelain tiles, made by foshan viewgres. They're 600x400. My husband bought these from Topps Tiles some years ago but unfortunately got sick before he could use them. He's not got better so I'm taking the job on myself. I'm not actually bad at DIY but I've not tiled a floor before.

The floor is three rooms, the hall, and off that the kitchen and a small bathroom. The existing floor is quite good, concrete that is smooth and level. House is ten years old. Any advice about which adhesive and grout I should use? I'll also need a color matched sealant, I think.

The other question is about cutting. I understand a wet saw is best. If I get one then what can I get for less than £150? Alternatively, is it practical to use a scoring cutter instead? I like the idea because they are obviously quieter, but perhaps they aren't suitable for porcelain?

Thanks in advance for your advice.
Charlotte

S

Spare Tool

Ultra adhesives SPES, definitely not a rapid set. They're primer and grouts and matching silicones are also good to use.
As for the cutting you don't really need a wetsaw, a cheap angle grinder with an ats turbo blade it will do your Lcuts, unfortunately you'll struggle to find a decent scribe cutter that will cut porcelain for £150, maybe buy a Sigma and look to sell it on after you've finished the job, probably recoup 75% of the initial cost after one job if you keep it clean..

T

Time's Ran Out

Their are forum members in your area who may have a support procedure to help you!
Many years ago I helped a geometric client local to me , I ended up being invited to undertake the work and it led to another 2 jobs through recommendation.!

G

GoneGuy

As @timeless john memtioned it might be worth looking to get a local forum member to help/quote you for the work?

If you do decide to try the project yourself whichever adhesive company you use also use their recommended primer, also a semi rapid adhesive or standard set would be best for a diy job. Also with grout manufacturers also offer colour match silicone.

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions. Buying a Sigma then selling it on sounds a good idea.

I wasn't sure about primers so helpful to know I need to use one.

I've seen there are leveling systems out there, how important is it to use one?

Reaction score
I'm still thinking about getting some quotes from local professionals. Part of me fancies tackling it myself though, could use the distraction at the moment. If I do do it myself then looking at Sigma cutters, it looks like the 3B4M Max is a good bet for me?

Looks like there are a few suppliers on the net but I've not heard of any of them before. Can anyone recommend a good supplier to buy one from?

I

Italy

I'm still thinking about getting some quotes from local professionals. Part of me fancies tackling it myself though, could use the distraction at the moment. If I do do it myself then looking at Sigma cutters, it looks like the 3B4M Max is a good bet for me?

Looks like there are a few suppliers on the net but I've not heard of any of them before. Can anyone recommend a good supplier to buy one from?
Pro Tiler Tools | We Sell a Large Variety of Tiling Tools, Tile Tool, Tools for Tiling, Ceramic Tiling Tool - https://www.*******************/

Simon Dale

TF
Esteemed
Esteemed
Reaction score

I have a Sigma cutter can't think what one 600 fits you can have it if you fancy a drive lol . WILL NEED CLEANING

Reply to which adhesive and cutter? in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks