Discuss Where to start? Removing old vinyl floor so far in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Cherie

-
Reaction score
I have an object in way, I will send pictures if I figure out how. So far removing old stuff. I know I have to put down plywood(outdoor grade) then hardiebacker but wondered I'd schlueter is better. Have liquid water proof to use too. Got that for walls but have plenty. Where to start? If I need leveler, how to keep it from going under? Should I tile around or attempt moving then moving back.

Cherie

-
Reaction score
Well almost done, had to remove black tar paper, gunk, that was under 3 layers of vinyl, then maybe vinyl tile, then maybe gold sparkled linoleum. Have 1 spot left. Have to sand floor and replace maybe 5 or 6 of the t&g sub floor. This week hopefully putting down plywood. Square patch job has to come out and done better. I am sanding walls as I go slowly. Any one know if I can tile right on the drywall??
Have more than a few places that need drywall put in, they had none around the bottom where the old shower was located. I made a hole pushing shower over to get behind to get to floor.
Also when I redo the plumbing, why they didn't put it up thru the wall, idk. The plumbing is taking up around 7 inches of space. The shower should have been flush with back wall.
The bathroom is only 6ft 3 in by 10 ft. I will probably crack tile moving it maybe
Toilet being replace with in wall about where it is now and a small vanity next to it. Big shower against back wall. Mural on wall behind shower and up both sides to edges of shower unit. Wall tiles only from edges of shower to door, halfway up.

Attachments

• 16218138394394784310695789548998.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 5
  • 16218139475478095741212832145790.jpg
    246.6 KB · Views: 4
  • 16218139749097831245711345558079.jpg
    231.8 KB · Views: 4
  • 16218142254137263172383210610006.jpg
    217.1 KB · Views: 5

Cherie

-
Reaction score
Well almost done, had to remove black tar paper, gunk, that was under 3 layers of vinyl, then maybe vinyl tile, then maybe gold sparkled linoleum. Have 1 spot left. Have to sand floor and replace maybe 5 or 6 of the t&g sub floor. This week hopefully putting down plywood. Square patch job has to come out and done better. I am sanding walls as I go slowly. Any one know if I can tile right on the drywall??
Have more than a few places that need drywall put in, they had none around the bottom where the old shower was located. I made a hole pushing shower over to get behind to get to floor.
Also when I redo the plumbing, why they didn't put it up thru the wall, idk. The plumbing is taking up around 7 inches of space. The shower should have been flush with back wall.
The bathroom is only 6ft 3 in by 10 ft. I will probably crack tile moving it maybe
Toilet being replace with in wall about where it is now and a small vanity next to it. Big shower against back wall. Mural on wall behind shower and up both sides to edges of shower unit. Wall tiles only from edges of shower to door, halfway up.
Oh , and using ditra on floor, the tiles are large and I figured it would be safer for a first time tile job. I am hoping when I check after sanding that the floor is still level, and I can get it almost flat. We shall see. Idk if it will need leveler. While I have it out, going to scrape walls and put in missing drywall and get the mural up on the back and side walls

Cherie

-
Reaction score
Found mold behind drywall, so taking it all down to inspect everything and do mold mitigation. This is driving husband crazy, but I have and continue to learn so much. It has been a blast so far. Since that wall is shared by a bedroom, I figured it was great that I found it and I can get rid of it.

Reply to Where to start? Removing old vinyl floor so far in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks