Discuss Where did I go wrong? 2sqm bathroom floor in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Hoot37

DIY Tiler
Reaction score
IMG_20190911_201959.jpg

I attempted my first tiling job a few days ago in my downstairs bathroom. It took me around 8 hours to get to this point. The day after I came back to remove all the tile leveling clip wedges. I was left with a couple that I couldn't get out, and I also had a lot of adhesive in my grout lines. On one of the stubborn clips I resorted to trying to remove it with a pair of pliers and ended up riping the whole tile up (This was 16 hours after laying it). I got fed up and ended taking them all up. I noticed that hardly any of the adhesive was left on the floor, and was instead all on the tiles.

I used a 10mm u shape adhesive trowel and back buttered the tiles, primed the concrete screed with Mapei primer g, and used Mapei rapid set adhesive.

Firstly, should my tiles have come up so easily?
Secondly, I was really struggling to lay my tiles with no lippage in the end. Am I right in thinking this is to do with the C shape of my Vitrex tile leveling clips? My adhesive was also going off way too fast when I ran into any problems which didn't help. I did notice a small lip where the toilet used to be. Possibly 1-2mm, would this matter?

Should I try again using a slower setting adhesive, possibly leveling the floor, and a different tile leveling system or possibly just spacers? Or should I just get a tiler in?

Thanks in advance.

T

Time's Ran Out

Easy this tiling game!
If you can afford £300 get someone in otherwise keep trying.

Hoot37

DIY Tiler
Reaction score
Easy this tiling game!
If you can afford £300 get someone in otherwise keep trying.

I can afford to get someone in, but this is just the start as I also want the walls tiled halfway and I have another two bathrooms to do.

If the things I've listed have made the job harder for me, and I can do it differently and might succeed on my second attempt then I'd like to give it a go. But if that's not the case and I'm just not cut out for tiling then I'll just have to accept I'll have to pay someone

T

Time's Ran Out

Contact one of our members in South Wales in our tilers directory direct to see if they can offer assistance.

D

Dumbo

The vitrex clips aren't good but I don't think changing clips will make that much difference , slow set would be better for you , levelling the floor takes practice so that's not as easy as it sounds. My petty hate people referring to self levelling compound , it doesn't self level .

Hoot37

DIY Tiler
Reaction score
The vitrex clips aren't good but I don't think changing clips will make that much difference , slow set would be better for you , levelling the floor takes practice so that's not as easy as it sounds. My petty hate people referring to self levelling compound , it doesn't self level .

I see, thank you for your advice. My thinking was that I had one tile that I just couldn't get level, when I removed the clips it went down just fine so I put it down to the C shape of the clips keeping the tile up.

When you say leveling the floor isn't easy, do you mean the leveling compound or the actual leveling of the tiles?

T

Time's Ran Out

If you use Tilemaster 30 levelling compound you’ll get a great flat surface to tile on!
Use flat clips and jobs a good un.

Hoot37

DIY Tiler
Reaction score
If you use Tilemaster 30 levelling compound you’ll get a great flat surface to tile on!
Use flat clips and jobs a good un.

So use the leveling compound and use flat tile leveling clips. Should I still use a 10mm u shaped trowel?
And do you think this will make the job much easier? As I found myself lifting quite a few of the tiles and resetting them.

One more question: Should I be concerned about being able to lift the tiles the day after quite easily using a flat utility bar and leaving hardly any adhesive on the floor?

O

Old Mod

It’s definitely a patience game, that is for sure.
If you feel you have enough of it, then persevere.
To be honest, I’m a bit of a ‘dog with a bone too!’
The more I’m told it can’t be done, the more I’ll endeavour to prove you wrong.
And that type of determination will get you thro.
Definitely ditch the rapid set, waste of money for a person setting out on a first time project.

I don’t think you’re not capable, I do think however, maybe you under estimated the complexity of the work to be carried out.
You said you primed the substrate with Primer G.
Are you happy that you followed the directions correctly?
If primer is too heavily applied it can skin, so what you’re actually doing is sticking to the primer and not the actual substrate (concrete)
So make sure the directions are followed to the letter and not too heavily applied.
Mix small quantities of adhesive at a time, it’s your own home, does it really matter how long it takes, I’m guessing not, reading your posts so far.
Try to work cleanly, once the clip has been tightened, clean down with a damp sponge, not wet, and use a lolly stick or similar to remove excess adhesive before moving on.
If you wish to use a levelling compound to flatten your floor first, I’d start a second thread in here and deal with that individually.
Nothing is self levelling, except for water.
All the adhesive stuck to the tile, can be an indication of contamination on the floor.
[automerge]1569102229[/automerge]

Hoot37

DIY Tiler
Reaction score
It’s definitely a patience game, that is for sure.
If you feel you have enough of it, then persevere.
To be honest, I’m a bit of a ‘dog with a bone too!’
The more I’m told it can’t be done, the more I’ll endeavour to prove you wrong.
And that type of determination will get you thro.
Definitely ditch the rapid set, waste of money for a person setting out on a first time project.

I don’t think you’re not capable, I do think however, maybe you under estimated the complexity of the work to be carried out.
You said you primed the substrate with Primer G.
Are you happy that you followed the directions correctly?
If primer is too heavily applied it can skin, so what you’re actually doing is sticking to the primer and not the actual substrate (concrete)
So make sure the directions are followed to the letter and not too heavily applied.
Mix small quantities of adhesive at a time, it’s your own home, does it really matter how long it takes, I’m guessing not, reading your posts so far.
Try to work cleanly, once the clip has been tightened, clean down with a damp sponge, not wet, and use a lolly stick or similar to remove excess adhesive before moving on.
If you wish to use a levelling compound to flatten your floor first, I’d start a second thread in here and deal with that individually.
Nothing is self levelling, except for water.
All the adhesive stuck to the tile, can be an indication of contamination on the floor.
[automerge]1569102229[/automerge]

You're right, it doesn't matter how long it takes. Although I followed the instructions for the primer I think I applied too much of it. I also know I worked way too messily and ended up leaving adhesive in the grout lines and the tiles, I think this was due to the pressure of the adhesive going off quickly. Thank you for your advice!

Reaction score
I found cleaning a small border with a margin trowel along the edge of the tile, before you insert the levelling clips help with the adhesive squishing out when your laying.

Also always keep a bucket of water and sponge, to clean as you go.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Level the floor and ditch the clips, there not essential with that size tile or that size floor, use slow set adhesive, work clean, job done !

Failing that, get a tiler in.... :)

U

Unused Account 1

Good on you for trying ,but if you want the best finish to look good ,clean ,sweep and prime before tiling ,good luck

J

Just Rizzle

sweep then vacume floor
apply primer andfollow instructions
lay a good quality leveler again follow instructions. check when set,after about 2 to 3 hrs its level if any high spots shave off with side of level.
when the area is flat my advice would be to dry lay your tiles then take up, and using an adhesive such as ardrit x7 slow set or tile master setaflex, lay the tiles from the rear to the front, a row ata time, use a 8 mm trowell and with your level check for flatness i wouldnt use clips
prime leveler and back skim tiles good luck

Boggs

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
That looks a bit smooth to me, thats not Anhydrite screed is it?

Reply to Where did I go wrong? 2sqm bathroom floor in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks