Discuss When you guys tile bath side do you allow access? in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

acaciaguy

TF
Arms
Reaction score
When tiling a bath side do you do it as a permanent fixing or do you allow access - screwing it with mirror screws for example do if can come off for checking leaks or repairing trap etc

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Ask swedish mike, according to that massive idiot you need assess to every pipe joint in the room.(you won’t remember him, though a few on here will, they were his mates :)
you ask the customer , if they want mirror screws or the really expensive shulter stuff , then go for it.
But imo , most showers and most pipework can’t be got to so why does everybody have hissy fits and throw their dummies out when folk say bath panels can be tiled ?

D

Dumbo

I've done it before with larger tiles. Clamp in place using levelling clips. silicone the tile joint a bit. When that has gone off remove clips and silicone grout lines to finish and hold in place .
[automerge]1569842100[/automerge]
Ask swedish mike, according to that massive idiot you need assess to every pipe joint in the room.(you won’t remember him, though a few on here will, they were his mates :)
you ask the customer , if they want mirror screws or the really expensive shulter stuff , then go for it.
But imo , most showers and most pipework can’t be got to so why does everybody have hissy fits and throw their dummies out when folk say bath panels can be tiled ?
It's to do with the bathe waste blocking isn't it , but if they made bath wastes like shower wastes to service from the top it wouldnt be an issue

acaciaguy

TF
Arms
Reaction score

Couldn’t agree more. Pipes are under floors in walls etc.

Out of interest what is the shulter option

J

J Sid

Make 1 or 2 tiles into a inspection hatch and fix with magnetic fixings and colour match silicone to joint.
Why wouldn't you?
We all know what plumbers are like with leaking pipes🙈

Boggs

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
You really only need access to the waste/trap area.
I tend to make one tile removable in this area and fix it in with a colour matched silicone rather than grout.

The Wedi bath panels are also worth a look.

Boggs

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Lucky me with metros brick bond. How to make an access point?​

Convince them they need complete access to all the plumbing fittings quickly in an emergency, then tell them it’s only possible with an MDF bath panel. 😉

Tony_C

TF
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
I used this last time and made an access panel them same size as tile then silicon

I've used this same bath panel a few times, cheap as chips.

Magnets from ebay, £6. Just done this a couple weeks ago but still to silicone it in as I haven't finished the bathroom yet, however where it is we may not even seal it in, i coloured the top edge of the tile in with grout and it disguises it pretty well. You would just have to do something similar with the tiles over hanging the panel with the bond and silicone in.

20190930_125328.jpg

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Didn’t know the bath waste were different to shower ? My bath has been in 10 years, cannot remember owt going up with it ? Same as my shower , it’s been in 15 years I think , no leaks (apart from the shot cheap shower screen) no tanking either , but that’s another thread :rolleyes::rolleyes::)

Reply to When you guys tile bath side do you allow access? in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Northern Tiler
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks