Discuss What's the point? in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Hi, at long last I've reached the point of putting light weight backer boards down on the floor (marmox 10mm) - on top of 18 mm ply. It was my intention to use keraquick rapid with the mapei additive - costly @ £25 a pop on top of the adhesive cost. I then double checked with marmox fixing instruction vid and it suggested that the boards can be put down with just screw fixings (washers as well) or with adhesive + mechanical fixings. What would be the point of wasting the time, money and extra effort in using the tile adhesive method?

Dave

TF
Staff member
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Hi, at long last I've reached the point of putting light weight backer boards down on the floor (marmox 10mm) - on top of 18 mm ply. It was my intention to use keraquick rapid with the mapei additive - costly @ £25 a pop on top of the adhesive cost. I then double checked with marmox fixing instruction vid and it suggested that the boards can be put down with just screw fixings (washers as well) or with adhesive + mechanical fixings. What would be the point of wasting the time, money and extra effort in using the tile adhesive method?
Its to avoid hollow spots and less fixings. Why the 2 part adhesive though ?

Reaction score
Thanks for the response, it was my understanding that you needed the extra flexibility because of the wooden substrate - have I got that wrong?
Yes the additive will give you more flexibility, and possibly bond strength, a normal good quality C2 adhesive will do the job. If the floor has bounce in it it will need strengthening before you over board.

P

Perfect Tiling

As above....the adhesive under the boards is ideally to fill any voids. Just use a single part flexible (SPF) adhesive which has everything in it...just mix with water. If you have a CTD local they will sort you out with the correct stuff at a price you want to pay. They have their own brand called Ultra Trade which is very good and a fraction of price you mentioned or go for a branded make for a couple of quid more. Get the prep right first or it'll cost you in the long term.....

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your advice. I've read so much over the last month on various sites, you can forget whats what. I'll take the advice of you guys and use the adhesive method, I've already got the Keraquick rapid adhesive and I'll forget the latex additive.

Reply to What's the point? in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks