Discuss What's The Best Way To Remove Tile Trim in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I'm on a job soon where only the wet areas of the bathroom and ensuite walls have been tiled.
It's a new build and owners have just got the keys and they want me the rest of the walls tiling.
Anyone got a good way of removing trim without removing tile (trims only plastic)
Wondering if a sharp stanley will do the trick, anyone tried?

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah you should be able to stanley that. Just rip it upwards, it'll snap and make a bit of a mess but if you're tiling above it anyway it doesn't matter. If the tiles are fixed well, they'll stay put. If they're not, then even easier, just pop them off and remove it.

O

Old Mod

I'm on a job soon where only the wet areas of the bathroom and ensuite walls have been tiled.
It's a new build and owners have just got the keys and they want me the rest of the walls tiling.
Anyone got a good way of removing trim without removing tile (trims only plastic)
Wondering if a sharp stanley will do the trick, anyone tried?

Last time I tried that I managed to put the Stanley straight thro my thumb! Got me seven stitches and about three weeks off work!!! Every time I picked something up, without even using my thumb, the blood pressure in my hand increased and my thumb exploded again!
Not trying to worry u, but be careful. My only saving grace the surgeon said was that I had a brand new blade in, and that's what stopped me from actually tearing my thumb in two!
Happy days haha :D
I don't have a better solution tho apart from grinding it out from behind.
Actually scratch that, what about using a multitool!

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Spare Tool

Ouch that thumb sounds painfull.......know how much we use ours thumbs.
I've managed to prize a trim out using a strong scraper(not a wall paper stripper), keep it flat on the tiles to avoid chipping them and work across the front edge of the trim gently pushing with the palm of the hand, once it's moved a bit you can get the scraper in the gap and lever it but work the whole length of the trim, don't just concentrate on one bit..good luck

R

Rizzle from the Portizzle

Last time I tried that I managed to put the Stanley straight thro my thumb! Got me seven stitches and about three weeks off work!!! Every time I picked something up, without even using my thumb, the blood pressure in my hand increased and my thumb exploded again!
Not trying to worry u, but be careful. My only saving grace the surgeon said was that I had a brand new blade in, and that's what stopped me from actually tearing my thumb in two!
spot on take the grinder in from the back top of the trim it will just curl away as you move the blade along

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Thanks everyone!

Got grinder and fein - you've put me off a stanley, I can't even cut ditra without slicing myself!

Was thinking about using the fein scraper blade behind the trim and hoping that will free them enough but will try the half moon too.

R

RDTiling

I'm glad a stumbled across this thread, as I've got 3 jobs coming up in new builds, where only part of the walls around the bath are tiled and the new owners want the tiling continued to cover the wall. Hopefuly there is a pic of one of the bathrooms attached.

The plastic trim along the tile edges over hang the tile by just over a mm so there is a bit of a ledge to get a scraper under it.

I'd never thought about using my multi tool, which I'm assuming you just cut into the trim with the blade to remove the curved bit of the trim and then run the blade along the top of the tile to cut along the back of the trim. I'll perhaps put a bit of duct tape to give the edge of the tile some protection!

The two tiles to the right of the picture, need to have the complete trim removed, as they want the length of trim replaced, so I'll try getting under it with a scraper (failing that I'll break those two tiles and replace them).

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Wishiwasatoptiler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
sounds painful! I know this is an old thread but thought I'd share some info. So as some kind know info work info catering through the day, the company I work for provide "knife gloves" for the chefs to wear as standard. It's a Teflon glove, very flexible. It's reduced cuts in the business by 70%, there's about 5000 chefs working for them so it's about big number. Just might be worth a look. Saves 3 weeks off work. Ouch. Zenith chemicals sell them but others to.

O

Old Mod

I have these now @Wishiwasatoptiler
Kevlar gloves.

image.jpeg

It saves mistakes like this haha
So blade went straight thro middle of nail down my thumb and u can see where pointy bit came out!

image.png

The knife body itself came to rest against my thumb all the way down there! Haha ouchy!! I had a nice flap of nail and thumb running under tap!
Funnily enough bleeding wouldn't stop!:eek:

image.png

W

waynef

I removed my last trim with a Stanley knife but after seeing your thumb 3_fall ill be using a multitool from now on o_O

Reply to What's The Best Way To Remove Tile Trim in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks