Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss What would you do? in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
So, I do the tile for a firm who does disabled bathrooms for the council, they usally use backer boards on the walls etc.

But I walked in today with with the walls totally f***ed stud walls with half the board missing for the shower pipes 3 other walls where you could see the brick, half skimmend where it was thicker by 15mm from top to bottom

I told the people involved i wasn't going to tile it and walked off site, now they are saying they won't use me any more (not really that fused) but wanted to hear your guys thoughts

Attachments

• 20190826_210344.jpg
    20190826_210344.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 44
J

J Sid

If your not happy with the prep, redo it and charge them. If they won't pay for that then walk.

Albert

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
So, I do the tile for a firm who does disabled bathrooms for the council, they usally use backer boards on the walls etc.

But I walked in today with with the walls totally f***ed stud walls with half the board missing for the shower pipes 3 other walls where you could see the brick, half skimmend where it was thicker by 15mm from top to bottom

I told the people involved i wasn't going to tile it and walked off site, now they are saying they won't use me any more (not really that fused) but wanted to hear your guys thoughts
Did you ask why it was left like that

D

Dumbo

I don't know how nicely you said it .
I wouldn't of tiled it and told them what I would of want done. If they said no I definitely would not do it . If after that they didn't want to use me , no problem , bye.

OP
T
Reaction score
The issue what they had is that the plumber was coming in tomorrow and they couldn't delay the job, all I said to them was I won't be able to tile onto those walls and that they needed boarding

Reaction score
Perfect job to make money and do the prep work yourself so that everything is spot on for your tile.
You just need to give them a Quotation for what’s involved. Including waterproofing the shower. If they have everything listed then they can make a decision. If they choose not to use you then at least you have done your best to explain what needs doing.

Wayne Brown

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Their loss stay polite act professional even go as far as putting your findings in a email to their contracts manager, when they know your side of things then it may be a different story , if not move on Let some other fool deal with them . Kop

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Perfect job to make money and do the prep work yourself so that everything is spot on for your tile.
You just need to give them a Quotation for what’s involved. Including waterproofing the shower. If they have everything listed then they can make a decision. If they choose not to use you then at least you have done your best to explain what needs doing.
And does that every really work ???
I had many a builder tell me to just do what I need to do to get it tiled, then screw me for any extra cost....
Better off just walking away...

Reaction score
And does that every really work ???
I had many a builder tell me to just do what I need to do to get it tiled, then screw me for any extra cost....
Better off just walking away...

Fair point. I think you probably would be better off walking away as a builder is involved. Dealing directly with the client and a new quote might work better.

D

Dumbo

The issue what they had is that the plumber was coming in tomorrow and they couldn't delay the job, all I said to them was I won't be able to tile onto those walls and that they needed boarding
Funny they can't delay the plumber ,kitchen fitter , carpet fitter , electrician always the tiler having to fit in .

Reply to What would you do? in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
flooringdemand
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock