Discuss what weight tiles will paramount take in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Eddy66

-
Reaction score
Hi Guys, another newbie here, what weight in kgs per sqm will honeycomb plasterboard walls take please? Paramount Partition wall boards type. I want to fully tile my bathroom walls in 600x300 ceramic tiles but, since finding out the wall structure I am now concerned the walls won’t take the weight - help please.

Eddy66

-
Reaction score
Yes they are, currently half tiled with 6x6 bog standard ceramic tiles with white emulsion walls. The existing tiles are dropping off and the plaster underneath looks like new (24 year old house). I thought take the existing off, make good if required, Unibond all walls, use Mapei waterproof paint for where the shower over bath will be and then add the new 600x300 ceramic tiles. My main concern is the weight on the paramount walls (new to me) though I see what you may be getting at, as I suppose the skim could break away under the weight? Thank you for your time.

Albert

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Yes they are, currently half tiled with 6x6 bog standard ceramic tiles with white emulsion walls. The existing tiles are dropping off and the plaster underneath looks like new (24 year old house). I thought take the existing off, make good if required, Unibond all walls, use Mapei waterproof paint for where the shower over bath will be and then add the new 600x300 ceramic tiles. My main concern is the weight on the paramount walls (new to me) though I see what you may be getting at, as I suppose the skim could break away under the weight? Thank you for your time.
The reason Dave is asking if they are skimmed is because skimmed boards will take less
weight than unskimmed

Eddy66

-
Reaction score
The reason Dave is asking if they are skimmed is because skimmed boards will take less
weight than unskimmed
Hi Albert, thank you for your response, i’ve done a bit more digging and found that plasterboard walls that are not skimmed will take 32kg/sqm whereas skimmed ones will only take 20kg/sqm. I reckon the tiles i want with an allowance for adhesive and grout come in at 21.5kg/sqm - i suspect that these figures will have a tolerance built in simply to cover themselves - so i think 21.5 may well be ok? My main concern is more about the capabilities of the Paramount panels as opposed to stud walls or dot and dab on to masonry. I think i’ll have a look at the skim on my paramount walls and see how well adhered it is - might be worth removing it to expose the board and simply go with the 32kg/sqm most of the advisory sites are saying. Gents, thank you both for your responses.

Boggs

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I would just leave the skim as is and follow Dave’s advise, if you start trying to remove the skim chances are you will damage the paper face of the plasterboard weakening the bond you have available at the moment.
Paramount board is difficult to repair, if it’s too far gone it really means removing it completely.

CJ

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I have paramount boards in my place. (Egg box walls) and found it no Problem, as long as the plaster skim is sound, you should have no problem 👍

Eddy66

-
Reaction score
I would just leave the skim as is and follow Dave’s advise, if you start trying to remove the skim chances are you will damage the paper face of the plasterboard weakening the bond you have available at the moment.
Paramount board is difficult to repair, if it’s too far gone it really means removing it completely.
Hi Boggs, good advice - i’ll leave as is then, thank you.
I have paramount boards in my place. (Egg box walls) and found it no Problem, as long as the plaster skim is sound, you should have no problem 👍
Hi Dave, i’ll have a few taps around the walls to see if the bond is still ok - just had visions of the lot coming down and landing on me in the bath - never come across paramount before, what an odd thing - apparently is was developed in the 70’s as a low cost solution to aid in the building of council properties. Thanks everyone for your comments.

Boggs

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Even odder is the straw version!

Eddy66

-
Reaction score
Ceramics will be fine on that substrate, dont use pva/unibond , use an acrylic primer and a cement based adhesive.
Oh right, no pva it is then - i was going to use mapei aquadefense where the shower will be any way so i’ll just that everywhere instead - thank you.

rl11tr

-
Reaction score
Hi Guys, another newbie here, what weight in kgs per sqm will honeycomb plasterboard walls take please? Paramount Partition wall boards type. I want to fully tile my bathroom walls in 600x300 ceramic tiles but, since finding out the wall structure I am now concerned the walls won’t take the weight - help please.

Newbie here! Not sure if I should have started a new thread or not but this one is so similar, I thought best to post here.

I have the exact same situation - 26 year old house with paramount wall. The existing six inch tiles pretty much fell off with a light tap! Underneath is pristine pink plaster over plasterboard that only looks to be a millimeter thick. I too want to put up new 600 x 300 ceramic tiles. So a coat of acrylic primer and cement based adhesive is the way to go? - is that what the OP ended up doing? Or should I go another route? e.g. cover the wall (2m x 2m) with new plasterboard and tile onto that?

I'm actually preparing and tiling three walls to take a shower bath. I have a stud wall to build for a short side (2m x 1m) and aren't sure whether to give it a face of plasterboard, cement board, ply or something else? What thickness?

The third wall is rendered and skimmed breeze block, so I assume this is my most stable wall and not a problem.

Finally (if not too many questions in one post!), should I tank any or all three sides prior to tiling? There will be a shower fitted above the bath on the stud wall end

Last edited:

Reply to what weight tiles will paramount take in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks