Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss What to do about narrow strip in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

serval

TF
Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
one of the walls i need to tile is just a bit wider than the width of the tile im using meaning id be left with a tiny strip of tile at one side.

DSC_2300.JPG

What would you guys do with this?
Mounting the tiles horizontal would be and option but the mrs wants them vertical.

Was thinking i could use two tiles cut just bigger than half and laying them back to back and hide the cut edge on the outside of the corner with a tile trim?

What do you think?

Tony_C

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Have a grout line central on the wall
[automerge]1568119283[/automerge]
Whoops pressed enter too soon, can't seem to edit posts anymore? 🤷‍♂️

And trim the outer cut edge like you proposed, will the tiles not be continuing round the wall to the right?

Last edited:

Tony_C

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Essentially what you said about having two tiles just bigger than a half. Draw a vertical straight line down that wall and have a cut tile to each side of it. using that line as where your grout joint would be. It may use more tiles but will look better

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
So, if you used (just over) half a tile to meet the wall on the left, and then just over half a tile to meet the external corner on the right, it'll end up with a grout line down the middle, and you'll be using big cuts instead of a full tile and a little cut.

Setting out for tile needs to be done way before you stick a tile on. You're meant to know where every tile is going, and what size the cuts will be, before you get the https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ out really.

No good now I know. lol

@Tony_C I'll look into that for you. You get about 90 minutes I think. Might be less on this forum. I'll stick it on my list to check mate.

Edit: I think three of us posted at the same time then lol Apologies for mine. :)

OP
S

serval

TF
Reaction score
Got it. Cheers guys.

@Tony_C

No the tiles will not continue around to the right. They will end on the wall shown in the pic. Finished with a trim piece.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah so that'll look the best I think. You could try using nearly a full tile on the left, and just widen the one on the right then. Being there and moving some cut tiles around to test it might help. (I'm not offering to come by the way there lol! - I mean you doing it!!!)

O

On one

Honestly can't remember the last time I tiled a wall in portrait,
99.9999 recurring in landscape.

Reply to What to do about narrow strip in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock