Discuss What sub base for tiles in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Hi. I'm after some advise. I am shortly going to be ripping out water damaged patchy chipboard flooring in our utility room. We have purchased the floor tiles ready for this. Can I use 25mm WBP ply fixed to the joists with noggins on the ends and tile straight to this or is this wrong. Any advise much appreciated.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Use 18mm ply but then overboard using 6mm cement based backer boards.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Good point Andy...

W

Waluigi

Quite unusual on a downstairs having chipboard with joists. Actually good point and worth checking

Reaction score
Hi, thanks for your replies. It is a ground floor extension that was done by previous owner. It has 6x2 joists with a 12" space to the ground with supports spaced out. Sorry I'm not sure is this classed as floating. The room is only 2.1 x 2.8.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
lots of floating floors are placed on battens which to a novice could be mistaken for joists.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Not a floating floor then.

Reaction score
Thanks. I've just read something about sealing the underside of the ply. What's the reason for this and does the ply need priming for adhesive to bond to.

W

WetSaw

Thanks. I've just read something about sealing the underside of the ply. What's the reason for this and does the ply need priming for adhesive to bond to.

Ply needs overboarding for adhesive to bond to. Don't stick tiles straight on to ply, not unless you want to be doing it again very soon!

W

Waluigi

Just had a lengthy and detailed reply typed out. Decided to delete it. Sad state of affairs. My apologies to Craigo. I hope you find the information you’re looking for. Over and out.

Bond

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Aye it’s a good idea to seal the underside of the ply as sub floor areas can have a high relative humidity, and by sealing with SBR or similar it will help prevent the ply from absorbing moisture etc.

J

J Sid

British Standard states
6.3.4.2 New timber bases New timber bases should be constructed with noggings between the joists. Water and boil proof (WBP) exterior grade plywood of 15 mm minimum thickness should be screwed to both joists and noggings at 300 mm maximum intervals. The lower face and edges of plywood should be sealed against the ingress of moisture using preferably non-aqueous sealers, e.g. polyurethane varnish, or styrene butadiene rubber, to prevent distortion by changes in atmospheric humidity before being screwed down. All junctions between boards should be supported by noggings or joists.

Reply to What sub base for tiles in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks