Discuss What kind of wetroom tanking is best and easiest for a DIY-er? Help please! in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

L

longdraws

Hi,
I was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction for the best, simplist and most reasonably priced way to tank a wet room.

I need a 1500 x 800 deck and was thinking of buying the Maxxus 1500 x 800 kit for £400 but wondered if its better to buy the deck and drain and waterproofing/tanking stuff separately? The best price for the maxxus deck and waste is £302.79 that I can find.

Please help :)

Liz

L

longdraws

After looking at the threads (and noone answering!) it looks like the solid tray and liquid tanking is the right method and the Mapei waterproofing kit seems OK from initial comments on the forum, BUT, if the floor is chipboard, do I need to overboard with those marmox boards?
Please someone reply!

M

Muse2k8

If you wait till tonight you will get plenty of answers from the guys with better wet room experience than I can give ;)

M

Mike Mike

It depends to some extent whether you will have shower doors / screen to keep the water in the tray area or have a completely open wetroom, likely to get shower water all over the floor, but to my mind a roller based tanking kit like Mapei, BAL etc is not up to the job of waterproofing a wetroom, especially the floor. They are more for tanking the walls around a bath.

For a bona fide wetroom you really need either a membrane system, or a vinyl system (floor and walls).

We stopped using roller type tanking systems in Scandinavia about 10 years ago.

Here is a link of approved membrane (o.k. for DIY) and vinyl (profs only) systems and brands in Sweden. Don't know if they are all available in the U.K. or what the pricing is.

I found a U.K. supplied membrane product: Homelux Waterproof Matting Installation Instructions - http://www.tilersforums.com/resources/homelux-waterproof-matting-installation-instructions.2/

No idea about it's quality, but must be better than a roller type system. If there is a national body in the U.K. which tests, rates and approves wetroom tanking systems and manufacturers try and find it and look at their list of approved products and choose from there.

Best of luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
L

longdraws

Thank you for replying. I had to make a decision last week so bought the Marmox wetroom kit Marmox Showerlay 1500 x 800 Wetroom Kit [WT15] - Marmox Wetroom Kits - Wetroom Kits - Wetrooms - Bathroom2u.com
I hope this is ok after what you have just said? The room is 150x 150cm and it only has the shower and a toilet in, with a glass screen separating them. The shower deck is 1500 so it will stretch the whole distance across the room and the screen should also stop water for entering the other part of the room although the whole floor will be tanked ontop of the marmox tile boards that I am going to line the floor with also.
Do you think this will be OK? Any thoughts and help much appreciated as dont want to get it wrong, but we have to save money somewhere so are trying to do as much ourselves as possible!
L

M

Mike Mike

Hello, I have not personally used any Marmox products or the PCI Lastogum X tanking system, but in principle it should be fine for what you are proposing and the size of your room, as long as the manufacturers state that it is fit for that purpose, and back it up with a guarantee.

The crucial areas are the internal corners, the joints between walls and floor, and of course, most important of all, the drain.

I looked at the link you sent, and looked up Marmox shower decks, tile backer boards, and the PCI Lastogum X tanking system. The only thing I didn't really see was any detail of how you waterproof around the drain itself. Presumably there is some sort of matt that sits on the deck around the drain area and is secured by a klämring?

I would always advise using pre-formed internal and external corners, which seem to be included in that kit, and apply plenty of tanking to them. Oh, one thing that worried me was reading the installation instructions for Marmox boards on a wooden floor which seemed to say leave a 10mm gap between the floor and walls for expansion! In a wetroom, which needs to be tanked, that isn't really a viable option, so it's probably a good thing that your shower deck is the entire width of the room... :)

Best of luck with your project!

Mike

Reply to What kind of wetroom tanking is best and easiest for a DIY-er? Help please! in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Matthew77
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks