Discuss What is the best substrate for Travatine wall tiles? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

J

Jarmany

Hi,

I am planning to tile the walls and floors of my bathroom with travatine tiles, 406x406x12mm.

I am having to re-build some stud walls and wonder what is the best base board material for these tiles. I am a bit concerned about the weight of them all!

I guess the normal thing to use would be plasterboard (12.5mm?), but I wonder if I should be using plywood instead.

What advice can your members give? The walls will be tiled up to the ceiling (around 2.6m)

Thanks for your help

Nick

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Plasterboard can carry a fair weight. Actually more than plaster alone. Use plasterboard :D

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Just to add to this, I have in my head, 32 kg per square meter for plasterboard, might be worth double checking but I think your tiles shouldn't be heavier than that, although they will give you back ache when you're carrying them around the house etc.

S

Smiths

Admin said:
Just to add to this, I have in my head, 32 kg per square meter for plasterboard, might be worth double checking but I think your tiles shouldn't be heavier than that, although they will give you back ache when you're carrying them around the house etc.
You're correct Admin, 20kg/m2 for plaster and 32kg/m2 for plasterboard.

UKTT Darren

TF
TF Official Sponsor
Subscribed
Reaction score
Prime with Bal apd the wall, use a white cement based adhesive with a solid bed floor trowel. Make sure you seal the tiles before grouting.

Reply to What is the best substrate for Travatine wall tiles? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks