Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss What ever happened to getting a tip and maybe even a cup of tea in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
Always nice to get the occasional tip but is pretty rare. But saying that virtually all my work now is through recommendations and word of mouth. (Maybe just lucky as Cornwall is a pretty small place). I think if customers just knew that for the cost of a few biscuits and cups of tea and coffee how much more you will go above and beyond on the job. And what they will get back in return work wise will far outweigh a few quid on tea bags custard creams and boiling a kettle . The standard is always there regardless but might be a case of offering to pop back to fit accessories, seal up once 2nd fixed.. etc. Look after your tiler and he/she will look after you.

T

Time's Ran Out

My customers are always Mr & Mrs to me till I get paid!
I take a kettle and a full tea party to my jobs as I don’t want to be bothered - coffee when I want one.
This job is interesting enough without having to add customer relations to the project.
If it’s respect your after earn it!

O

One Day

I appreciate being offered a drink, but the reality is that I pack my own coffee machine!
I will accept a brew when offered but I make it clear that one a day is enough for me.
I'm amazed when people say that other trades want a brew every 30 minutes. I would rather get working!
Tips are pretty rare. Occasionally have customers round up an invoice.
Once I had £100 tip and the best was a 2 seater german pedal go-kart given me which was worth (even second hand) £900.

I know a carpet fitter who worked all week in a mansion for some landed gentry type. Every day the butler would serve quality tea and biscuits etc - really looked after them. On the final day he overheard his customer - Sir whatever-his-name-was, say to the butler - "please be sure to give the gentleman the usual tip before he leaves."
Rubbing his greedy little hands together at the thought of a nice vintage bottle from the cellar, or some pound notes, he was pretty stunned to be presented with a multi-pack of Twix bars!

H

hmtiling

I take a kettle and a full tea party to my jobs as I don’t want to be bothered - coffee when I want one.
This job is interesting enough without having to add customer relations to the project.
Customer relations is a big part of the job for me John. The majority of people I get on with swimmingly and all of my work is referral. Respect and courtesy are 2 different things.

B

Blunt Tool

Had a painter and decorator in to my house a few years back to redecorate more or less whole house, he was the son of one of my wife’s friends. First day he turned up he handed me a packet of kraft cheesy pasta and told me he’ll have that at noon with a cup of tea! Told me to follow instructions on packet.
He didn’t leave a tip either!

Last edited by a moderator:

Doozy

TF
Reaction score
I find the people with less money, or those that are self-made, are the most appreciative.

100% agree on this. Done little jobs on ropey council houses and been looked after like one of the family, fed, watered etc.

Also done plenty of work in huge houses worth a fortune and hardly ever seen the bottom of a mug.

In fact, we now always load up on coffee, sugar etc for the van if we're heading off somewhere high end

OP
Balloo

Balloo

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I appreciate being offered a drink, but the reality is that I pack my own coffee machine!
I will accept a brew when offered but I make it clear that one a day is enough for me.
I'm amazed when people say that other trades want a brew every 30 minutes. I would rather get working!
Tips are pretty rare. Occasionally have customers round up an invoice.
Once I had £100 tip and the best was a 2 seater german pedal go-kart given me which was worth (even second hand) £900.

I know a carpet fitter who worked all week in a mansion for some landed gentry type. Every day the butler would serve quality tea and biscuits etc - really looked after them. On the final day he overheard his customer - Sir whatever-his-name-was, say to the butler - "please be sure to give the gentleman the usual tip before he leaves."
Rubbing his greedy little hands together at the thought of a nice vintage bottle from the cellar, or some pound notes, he was pretty stunned to be presented with a multi-pack of Twix bars!
An actual coffee machine, the one that dose espresso etc?

W

WetSaw

I like to be self sufficient so take whatever I want with me, plus the fact that most of the time when people make you a tea or coffee it's bloody awful!
Or when you get to the bottom of the cup and see how filthy it is...

I do get your point about a drink and a chat though Andy, as long as they don't start telling you their life story!

I

Italy

same ... ;)

W

Waluigi

When asked if I’d like a tea or coffee I’ll always ask if it’s instant coffee, which if it is I’ll ask for a strong tea with a tiny splash of milk and no sugar instead of crappy instant

I used to take my cafetière to work but I kept looking for excuses to make myself coffee. Things like ‘I’ll just get this done and then reward myself with a cup’

In reality I didn’t get that thing done but still made myself a cup.

CJ

TF
Arms
Reaction score
They look after you........you’ll look after them. If they are miserable sods.......then any small “can you do this” will be body swerved.

Far too many people look down on tradesman nowadays.

Reply to What ever happened to getting a tip and maybe even a cup of tea in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock