Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss What cscs card do I need? in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi all,

Just wondering if Any1 can help me with what type of cscs card I need to work on site as a tiler.

I have a C&G level 1 diploma in wall and floor tile. To get a trade specific cscs it says you need an nvq level 2.
Can I apply for a labour cscs and use that as a tiler?

I've worked on sites for over 7 years just not as a tiler. My previous cscs card was trade specific as a fire sprinkler engineer but expired 2 years ago when I re trained as a tiler.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Diggy

TF
Reaction score
Hi James ,
It's not just about sites , many contractors ask for a skills card these days too ( level 2 nvq minimum) . Some sites don't even use the scheme - Bloors for example - , but most do want to see your trade specific card. It may be possible to get on site with a labourers card if you were someones apprentice/labourer/ but thats probably it . You really need to do the nvq 2 test tbh.

Cheers

Diggy

OP
J
Reaction score
Cheers Diggy much appreciated.
I will look into how I go about getting my level 2.
I'm self employed and have been tile for 2 years so hopefully should be straight forward to do.

D

Dumbo

I now of tilers that work on site with labourers card . They only do site work and never any problems

M

MTiler

I often work on site and always have to show my card (Blue -skilled worker). Last year I also had to have the CITB safety awareness Cert too for some sites (which is a days course and that lasts 5 years). Large sites can be very strict.

D

Dumbo

I often work on site and always have to show my card (Blue -skilled worker). Last year I also had to have the CITB safety awareness Cert too for some sites (which is a days course and that lasts 5 years). Large sites can be very strict.
So do you get different certification other than people get by sitting a health and safety test using the touch screens which also lasts for five years .

Diggy

TF
Reaction score
Cheers Diggy much appreciated.
I will look into how I go about getting my level 2.
I'm self employed and have been tile for 2 years so hopefully should be straight forward to do.

If you're competent enough the test is reasonably straightforward.
I got the pic somewhere . Cost me ÂŁ500 but also included the health and safety test at the same time. Takes about a morning to do by the time you've done the verbal Q&A bit as well.
I was miffed at the money but I needed it for site work so had no choice. Good laugh tho did it with a i guy I known for about 25yrs .
Got a pic somewhere.

Diggy

M

MTiler

So do you get different certification other than people get by sitting a health and safety test using the touch screens which also lasts for five years .

I have the CSCS blue card which lasts 5 years, plus the CITB Health and safety cert that lasts 5 years. To get the CITB cert you do a days course with a test at the end.

D

Dumbo

Are you sure

I have the CSCS blue card which lasts 5 years, plus the CITB Health and safety cert that lasts 5 years. To get the CITB cert you do a days course with a test at the end.
I got CITB hsa cert just by taking a test

Diggy

TF
Reaction score
The blue card lasts forever - as it were - its just the H&S that needs updating every 5 yrs , as I understand it.

Diggy

bsc ceramics

TF
Arms
Reaction score
get your nvq if you can its not worth not being able to work on some sites. did mine about 6years ago and always get asked for it. if uv been doing it for more than 3 years (I think its 3) you can do a 2 day course if you have a portfolio and proof of you work history if not its on site assessments. Try and get hold of Max at able skills he's on here somewhere or just give them a ring, he did mine and he was great, I'm sure he can tell you the best and easiest way to get it. Good luck..

T

Tommytile

Hi James ,
It's not just about sites , many contractors ask for a skills card these days too ( level 2 nvq minimum) . Some sites don't even use the scheme - Bloors for example - , but most do want to see your trade specific card. It may be possible to get on site with a labourers card if you were someones apprentice/labourer/ but thats probably it . You really need to do the nvq 2 test tbh.

Cheers

Diggy

Reply to What cscs card do I need? in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
05jtaylor
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock