Discuss What could be causing this? - damp behind tiles? - wet grout in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Dan1234

TF
Reaction score
Their work:

Looks like the tiler has just followed the contour of your bad walls.

Maybe they should have said to you when starting or looking at the job that your walls are out of plumb do you want use to follow the walls or knock all the render off back to block and re-board it to make it level. This would cost a lot more money this way.

acaciaguy

TF
Arms
Reaction score

Maybe they should have said to you when starting or looking at the job that your walls are out of plumb do you want use to follow the walls or knock all the render off back to block and re-board it to make it level. This would cost a lot more money this way.

I do agree with. That. Some do. Some don’t. BUT I always ask

Reaction score

It was written in the job spec/contract. Tiler breached the contract and is being given a chance to correct the contract by means of having to remove the tiles and plaster the wall. I wonder what next if refusal happens?

Dan1234

TF
Reaction score
I do agree with. That. Some do. Some don’t. BUT I always ask

The thing about asking is half the customers will always think your having their pants down, people always get funny when you say I can do this but it will be extra. Not everyone is like this, some jobs it's like trying to make a silk purse out of a pigs ear

acaciaguy

TF
Arms
Reaction score
The thing about asking is half the customers will always think your having their pants down, people always get funny when you say I can do this but it will be extra. Not everyone is like this, some jobs it's like trying to make a silk purse out of a pigs ear
I agree. I offer options. I’m honest. And sometimes do myself out of work. But it’s up to the customer when given options. However. I have limits as to what I will do

Dan1234

TF
Reaction score
It was written in the job spec/contract. Tiler breached the contract and is being given a chance to correct the contract by means of having to remove the tiles and plaster the wall. I wonder what next if refusal happens?

Well if it's been written into the quote given to you that walls will be made true before tiling then he will have to sort it out.

Best way for the tiler if he is not taking all the tiles off and re boarding is to use a rapid set adheasive to level the areas off then tile onto that. If you use bonding and plaster it's going to need weeks to dry before you can tile on the top. Plus 20kg m2 weight limit with plaster and I bet those tiles,adheasive and grout are just over that weight anyway.

D

Dumbo

Well if it's been written into the quote given to you that walls will be made true before tiling then he will have to sort it out.

Best way for the tiler if he is not taking all the tiles off and re boarding is to use a rapid set adheasive to level the areas off then tile onto that. If you use bonding and plaster it's going to need weeks to dry before you can tile on the top. Plus 20kg m2 weight limit with plaster and I bet those tiles,adheasive and grout are just over that weight anyway.
I expect he is already on plaster so using rapid set 20mm is going to increase the weight

Reaction score
What happened?
Refused to accept responsibility for the incorrect height of the sink and he had a go at my wife when she expressed her feelings about his attitude during the explanation of what needed doing. Also, only 40 tiles available when well over 120 are not right. Ridiculous state of affairs.

Last edited:
D

Dumbo

Just for your info as in regards to deviation of tiling as per bs , for instance when you put your level up the wall and their is a gap at the top . I do my know precise wording but it amounts to .
Flatness is measured using an eight foot straight edge with 3mm feet at each end . At no point should the tiles touch the straight edge or the gap exceed 6mm

Reaction score
Just for your info as in regards to deviation of tiling as per bs , for instance when you put your level up the wall and their is a gap at the top . I do my know precise wording but it amounts to .
Flatness is measured using an eight foot straight edge with 3mm feet at each end . At no point should the tiles touch the straight edge or the gap exceed 6mm
Yep, gaps are 15mm +

Reply to What could be causing this? - damp behind tiles? - wet grout in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks