Discuss What backer board and prep? in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
I wish to tile over good solid floorboards on a suspended floor, and a small bathroom. I believe I should use 6mm cement boards prior to tiling.

What backer boards should I use? I see Hardiebacker is probably the leading brand but I’m not in the trade so I’m looking at £15 a board. Have found pre primed “nomoreply” boards on total tiles for £7.50 but sceptical of their quality?

Also could someone explain what to use as the adhesive for these boards? Flexible tile adhesive? Or any tile adhesive is fine?

I have had 3 tilers in to quote me on my job and none of them want to do the prep work, and neither of them have any answers for my questions... two tilers didn’t even know you had to use adhesive for the boards!

Any help appreciated, thanks!

Dave

TF
Staff member
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
3 tilers didn’t want to prep ? Or know how to ? , they certainly aren’t tilers. 😂.

I prefer Hardibacker boards and they go down on a combed bed of flexible adhesive and screwed at 200mm intervals.

as for the NMP , i recall they are adhered using a tubed adhesive and screwed down.

finlay

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
hardi backer boards for me prep as Dave said above
If tilers don’t want to prep for there own work leave them alone good tilers want to prep there own work just to make sure it’s done right .

Reaction score
Good points, tiling is the only trade that I don’t know anybody who does it, let alone a good experienced one!

Ok so I’m looking at 6mm Hardiebacker 800x1200 at £10.19 each from protilingtools.com. Will do some research to check their reviews as a trader.

Since you guys make a lot of sense, ha.
I’m going to see level the joining floor to reach the 6mm increase. I’ve removed old vinyl Marley tiles and it’s exposed the bitumen. I intend to use Ardex arditex over the bitumen ? Any thoughts?

Will be ordering and doing my own prep work shortly unless I can find someone who will do it all.

Cheers guys

Boggs

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Good points, tiling is the only trade that I don’t know anybody who does it, let alone a good experienced one!

Ok so I’m looking at 6mm Hardiebacker 800x1200 at £10.19 each from protilingtools.com. Will do some research to check their reviews as a trader.

I’m going to see level the joining floor to reach the 6mm increase. I’ve removed old vinyl Marley tiles and it’s exposed the bitumen. I intend to use Ardex arditex over the bitumen ? Any thoughts?

Will be ordering and doing my own prep work shortly unless I can find someone who will do it all.

Cheers guys

You will have no problems dealing with Protilertools.

Dave

TF
Staff member
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score

Cheers guys

Check out our directory for a tiler in your area.

Reply to What backer board and prep? in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alex Carr
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks