Discuss Wetroom vinyl replace with tiles in the Floor Advice - Flooring Forum area at TilersForums.com

G

GoneGuy

hi all,
Just had a quick look on forum and couldn't find anything so here goes.
Just been to look at a job- ground floor wetroom for disabled/elderly, has a shower end with folding half height door.
Toilet, biddet and sink.
The floor is vinyl going to tiled wall and customer wants to replace the vinyl floor with tiles.
Customer says the shower will only be used on occasions as they will mainly use it for the toilet/sink.
Area is 6.5 metres square. The customer is supplying all materials etc and I suggested a plumber changes the round drain for one to match tiles.
Any tips/suggestions that I should look out for.
Many thanks for any help or advice

IMG_2102.JPG

Chalker

Chalker

TF
Supporter
Arms
Reactions
635 1
What's the floor construction? Will need, like you day replacing with a drain suitable for tiling. Will need lifting too.
The floor will need tanking. With it having vynil, the floor won't have defined lines for elvelope cutting. I would suggest mosaics to get over this. If they want bigger tiles you could screed the floor to get rid of the dish shape.

G

GoneGuy

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
What's the floor construction? Will need, like you day replacing with a drain suitable for tiling. Will need lifting too.
The floor will need tanking. With it having vynil, the floor won't have defined lines for elvelope cutting. I would suggest mosaics to get over this. If they want bigger tiles you could screed the floor to get rid of the dish shape.
It is a ground floor and been told it is concrete underneath.

G

GoneGuy

Just had a thought, what if I was to suggest to tile the area around toilet/sink/biddet up to the wheelchair friendly door and leave the shower area as it is.
Would this work?

IMG_2103.JPG

S

Spare Tool

Just had a thought, what if I was to suggest to tile the area around toilet/sink/biddet up to the wheelchair friendly door and leave the shower area as it is.
Would this work?

View attachment 86150
Wouldn't that then leave a 15 mill wheelchair unfriendly lip to negotiate..

G

GoneGuy

Wouldn't that then leave a 15 mill wheelchair unfriendly lip to negotiate..
The previous owner was elderly and disabled, the new owners at are young and able. They just wanted to freshen up the room

S

Spare Tool

Ah well that's different...yep be a lot less hassle to leave shower area alone then :)

G

GoneGuy

has anyone else tried this? Maybe might be worth telling customer it would be too expensive to tile etc?.

peteablard

peteablard

TF
Supporter
Arms
Reactions
701 2
I think it would look a bit naff if you leave the vinyl. As mentioned above I'd mosaic the tray area or build the main floor up and around the outside of the tray and envelope larger tiles. Obviously that's after changing the drain

timeless john

timeless john

Esteemed
Supporter
Arms
Reactions
16,143 153 1
What member type are you?
Professional Wall and Floor Tiler
1st question I'd ask is do they own the place - you say new owners but they may be altering a housing companies property.

G

GoneGuy

1st question I'd ask is do they own the place - you say new owners but they may be altering a housing companies property.
They own it, I've messaged them to say I couldn't help them out.
Thanks for all the replies and advice guys

Reply to Wetroom vinyl replace with tiles in the Floor Advice - Flooring Forum area at TilersForums.com

New Threads (Sitewide)

Top Bottom

Use TilersForums.com to find Tiling Jobs or your Local Tilers for free. Get tiling tools at the best prices via the forum.