Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Wetroom help plywood floor in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Jackk

-
Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi I will be ripping a bath with shower out and want to replace with a wetroom, I want to keep a level floor throughout the bathroom I am not wanting to buy a tray and plan to make one out of plywood I know this can be done if ranked correctly. I am just wanting to know how to get the slopes right and how to set out the timber to carry the weight and not have any movement once completed. I have searched a lot about this and can’t seem to find much apart from cutting the joists down is a good idea. Any help to at all or links to other threads on this is appreciated.

D

Dumbo

Don't do it , it not reliable , plywood moves with temperature changes and moisture changes , it will probably fail .

OP
J

Jackk

-
Reaction score
Don't do it , it not reliable , plywood moves with temperature changes and moisture changes , it will probably fail .

ply wood with correct falls/slopes with all joints feather edged then siliconed round, then a layer of backer boad with joints filled/primed then waterproof sheeting and more tanking then tiled surely this would be fine?
I have read a lot of mixed reviews on this I will not be buying a tray for £200-300 + it’s not an option for me

J

J Sid

ply wood with correct falls/slopes with all joints feather edged then siliconed round, then a layer of backer boad with joints filled/primed then waterproof sheeting and more tanking then tiled surely this would be fine?
I have read a lot of mixed reviews on this I will not be buying a tray for £200-300 + it’s not an option for me
Sponsor on this site
Other makes available, do some research

Ajax123

TF
Arms
Reaction score
My wet room tray cost me £90 120mmx120mm 10mm fall to drain. The ply plus bits system you are talking about will probably cost more be more work and will probably fail

OP
J

Jackk

-
Reaction score
Okay thanks for the replies I will be buying a tray the wet room will be 1m wide but the length is going to be around 1.7m I will buy a tray 1m x 1m what can I do for the 700mm left of the floor space?

J

J Sid

I'd by a tray bigger, say 1800x1000 and cutting down if needed and also ordering a 20mm board of the same type as tray to board the whole room for level access ready for tile

Ajax123

TF
Arms
Reaction score
when I did mine I bought an extender board (basically a 20mm cement faced foam board matching the wet room tray to take it out to 1.2 wide by 2.0 long. whole thing including screws I think cost less than £250 including the backer boards for the walls. cant remember the make I used but it was blue foam with cement facing. I sealed the edges together with MS polymer https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/. (sticks like sh*t rapid from screwfix)

Reply to Wetroom help plywood floor in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock