Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Wetroom 3 different ways? in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Jon329

TF
Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hello everyone,

I tried to avoid asking this question as I'm sure you're all sick of seeing the same questions being asked, but after days of research I am unable to choose the best flooring to put down for a small ground floor wetroom on a suspended timber floor. 1.65x1.85m room dimensions

So I have taken up all the water damaged chipboard and want to replace it with something of a similar height to avoid having a step going into the bathroom. I have bought a 22mm tuff former from screwfix, so I also need to match that height

From what I've seen from various forum are these are the suggestions.

1) 18mm ply wood then 6mm aquapannel (tile board) giving me a 24mm height floor. But unsure how prop up the former by 2mm or if it's close enough.

2) 25mm ply wood floor, then get 3.6mm ply and place that under the tuff former to try and level it.

3) I've seen some 22mm tongue and groove plywood from travis perkins. "Selex Structural Plywood B/C Grade Tongue and Grooved 2425mm x 600mm x 22mm" on the manufacturers website it says this is actually 21mm height but I'm thinking I could put some uncoupling membrane on top to get it level with the tuff former.

I'm thinking option 3 might be the best. But I know that some people say 25mm ply is the minimum for laying tiles?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated!!

Chalker

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Hi
Personally wouldn’t have used the screwfix former, there are better ones about. But as you have, as Long as you suppor it well, it will be fine.
I take it you have a void under your joists? If so , make sure you insulate it while you have the floor up. If there is any deflection in the floor, you will need to install noggings between the joists ( 400mm Centers, or 18inch if you have imperial sized ply.
Don’t worry about the 2mm height difference, as long as your using decent sized tiles, you can overcome that with adhesive. Other than that you idea of floor build up is fine. Use plenty of screws and glue the ply to the joists. I would have used 6mm insulation boards. They are easier to cut.

The main thing with a wet room is waterproofing it. Personally, I would used Ardex this uses a fibreglass tape applied to any joins and corners. Then cover the floor and walls, which will be getting wet.

OP
J

Jon329

TF
Reaction score
Thank you for your help, could I ask what type of insulation you would use? I hadn't intended to use any underfloor heating and hadn't even considered insulation. I'm guessing foam insulation like celotex?

H

hmtiling

Thank you for your help, could I ask what type of insulation you would use? I hadn't intended to use any underfloor heating and hadn't even considered insulation. I'm guessing foam insulation like celotex?
marmox , wedi type boards. they're cement coated xps

W

Waluigi

@Jon329

18mm ply and overboarded with 6mm Hardiebacker or similar. Glued, screwed, taped and filled.

I would concentrate on getting this right in your head and think about the height this gives you.

Your wet room former can easily be raised slightly to reach the same level as the rest of the floor. Simply board out in between joists slightly higher.

I’d get the wet room former in first but have some offcuts of Ply and Hardiebacker to hand as your reference point.

As you have no UFH going in, I wouldn’t consider an Insuition board personally. That’s not to say that there is anything wrong with using it.

OP
J

Jon329

TF
Reaction score
Thank you all for your time and advice. It's all coming together, just need to get some sort of tanking kit now, any recommendations?. The shower area is actually surrounded by solid walls luckily, but it seems people still advise tanking them. Only other questions I have is that you have mentioned glueing the plywood down, any glue in particular? Guess just normal wood https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/?

W

Waluigi

Paint on membranes I’d use either Tilemaster or Ardex. Membranes on a roll, I find Schlüter Kerdi a good choice but there are lots available and all do a similar job.

The ply isn’t glued, it’s the Hardiebacker that is glued and screwed, on top of the ply, using Tile https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/.

OP
J

Jon329

TF
Reaction score
I guess because it's a very small room if I were to buy the paint on membrane then i could do the shower walls and floor all with the same stuff and it looks cheaper! however the membranes on a roll does look more "fool proof"

Might just have to be brave and go for the paint on!

Has anyone used the akw membrane though, don't know if it's best to use the manufacturers own membrane to go over my akw tuff former

Last edited:
OP
J

Jon329

TF
Reaction score
Trying to fit the waste for my former, can anyone advise where I can get the part I need or
What it's called? I'm just trying to connect a 50mm pipe to this 50mm adapter on the soil pipe, but all I can find are reducers?! I can push a 50mm pipe connector on the end but I don't think there's sufficient depth on the outlet to be correct. I'm just trying to mirror what's been done already to the other 50mm outlet.

I'm right in assuming this will be solvent weld I hope?

20190117_132822.jpg

W

Waluigi

It will be solvent weld or at least it should be. Certainly the end that joins to your stack will be, the other end might be ring seal.

The fitting you require is called a ‘Boss Adaptor’

Being honest, for wetrooms I’d go for 50mm solvent weld waste right up as close to the wet room drain as possible.

With boss adaptors they are manufacture specific so you need to find the brand of ‘boss coupling’ that you have to know which boss adaptor you require.

I can’t think for the life of me which brand of fitting that is you have. Worse case scenario replace the Boss coupling. Simple job really.

OP
J

Jon329

TF
Reaction score
Thanks waluigi, yeah I'm trying to maintain the 50mm pipe as my shower waste is also 50mm and want it to drain faster. It's all very much like patch work unfortunately, however I can see that the air vent says "marley"

Just out of interest, why is it important to match the brand, I'd of thought they were standard sizes? In this case its exactly the same dimensions as the 50mm solvent weld waste pipe I've bought, so probably 53mm

20190117_140148.jpg 20190117_140202.jpg

W

Waluigi

Hmmm not quite as simple now you’ve panned out:tearsofjoy:

If you can try to measure the diameter of the boss and then perhaps try a merchants. Both Screwfix and Toolstation are out because they tend to have the awful rubber boss adaptors and won’t go up to 50mm.

Selco uses Hunter plastics. Osma might fit. It’s very much trial and error unless any of the other Plumbers here has an idea? Sometimes a 50mm solvent weld pipe will glue straight in.

OP
J

Jon329

TF
Reaction score
Okay thanks for the advise, as I said the 50mm connectors do fit but i don't know if it's a good enough join as it soil pipe connector is so small it will only go half way in

20190117_143209.jpg

Reply to Wetroom 3 different ways? in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
05jtaylor
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock