Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Wet UFH Limestone DITRA? in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Please checkout the following advertisement.
I am a customer not a tiler!

My architect wants to lay limestone tiles directly on to the screed which is a sand and cement mix with the UFH pipes in it. This is laid on a solid concrete base. The screed has SBR and some fibres in it. My worry is that the limestone tiles with all their natural flaws will crack as the heating causes expansions/contractions.

His concern is that the floor will not be as heat efficient and there is a lot of glass potentially creating a lot of heat loss. He wants me to sign an agreement that some tiles may crack and still not use the DITRA.

Does a Ditra laid floor take ages to heat up? How likely are my tiles to crack if I go along with his Plan?
The floor is about 9mx 7m.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
S

sdw45

Ditra all the time for limestone with ufh, he should know better.
Thank you - that's my feeling especially as I am sceptical about how dry the screed will be by the time he aim's to lay the tiles.. I assume that we need to get the heating ramped up slowly too..

OP
S

sdw45

Its been down a week - its 55mm and the UFH pipes are in it. I assume it should be another 5 or so weeks to be fully dry then put the uf heating on...
Alan - thanks for the welcome.. I am desperately trying to educate myself so I can make the right call! I am assuming that the Ditra mat will allow some leeway with moisture issues.
Thanks 3-fall

OP
O

Old Mod

One of the primary functions of Ditra is that of a vapour barrier, it's used to fast track tile all the time.
It must be completely sealed tho using Kerdi-Keba and Kerdi Coll.
(A tape and https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/)

OP
S

sdw45

Thanks guys that sounds good advice - how much do you think my underfloor heating will be affected in output - will it take along time to heat up, or is it down to the Ditra being fitted well and all the cavities being filled so the air gaps are minimised? I feel slightly educated about it now!

OP
L

lizzardtong

Im not 100% sure but 55mm for sand and cement is bit thin. @Ajax123 would be able to confirm that. Also 55mm should dry in about 60 days. And i would go for decoupling membrane 100%

AliGage

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.

Agreed your architect is a muppet.

Ditra effecting your UFH? Blink and you'll miss it.

Ditra all day long on heated screeds.
Ditra all day long with stone, irrespective of heated screeds. I would almost insist after asking you questions regarding the amount of glass around the room.

You can fit the ditra as soon as your screed is dry enough to step on without leaving a Mark. Couple if days should suffice.

Sorry for short, bulleted answers, ny digs in labour!!

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum @sdw45

Welcome to the forum.

Agreed your architect is a muppet.

Ditra effecting your UFH? Blink and you'll miss it.

Ditra all day long on heated screeds.
Ditra all day long with stone, irrespective of heated screeds. I would almost insist after asking you questions regarding the amount of glass around the room.

You can fit the ditra as soon as your screed is dry enough to step on without leaving a Mark. Couple if days should suffice.

Sorry for short, bulleted answers, ny digs in labour!!
IN LABOUR?!?!?!

Reply to Wet UFH Limestone DITRA? in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
05jtaylor
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock