Discuss Wet UFH in screed, between joists covered with ply. in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Wet UFH in screed, between joists covered with ply. Is this a thing?

I got a call the other day from a builder describing the above. He wants it tiled asap. I wont go and see it until the ply is down plus its a 40 mile round trip to the house.

English is not his first language and it was difficult to understand exactly what he was saying. However, the screed went down 2 weeks ago and he says it is dry. The UFH has not yet been commissioned. I won't go until it is dry, commissioned and ply'd.

I had to turn down a job last week as there was too much deflection in a 25sqm ply'd kitchen with wet ufh. It was like a bouncy castle.

Has anyone else seen this scenario?

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Definitely a thing but drought with danger...

D

Dumbo

They would say that.
Will they spec how it should be tiled and what fixing materials and methods they will guarantee?
Agree , I'm sure they just dream these systems up . Have any calculations been done on the joists for the extra load of 1.7kg per milimetre per square metre of the screed

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
It all depends on how the timber substrate is engineered. Some will no doubt be well built and properly engineered but other will not. Its the latter that you'll need to watch out for.

Reply to Wet UFH in screed, between joists covered with ply. in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks