Discuss Wet rooms in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

R

Robsud11

Hi everyone. I have just had a wet room installed. Can you tell me how long you should wait for the grout to fully cure before using shower for 1st time bal micromax grout has been used

G

Gazzer

6. Wait minimum 24 hours before subjecting tiles to normal
service conditions.
NOTE:
If completing a shower, do NOT use shower for at least 2 weeks
(as required by BS 5385: Part 4:2009, clause 7.2.1).

R

Robsud11

Hi thanks for that we where told it was ok to use the shower after 48 hrs hence reason why water had been getting under tiles and grout cracking around gully area only

T

Time's Ran Out

:welcome: if you have a problem with water under tiles and grout cracking - don't try and seal the grout until the issue is resolved.

R

Robsud11

Thanks John we have re done the floor area by removing existing tiles and adhesive which had cracked. New tiles are now laid and grouted using bal micromax with gt1. We have not used it as yet even though we where told to wait 48 hrs before using shower it has now been 5 days since it was grouted. Bal state to wait 2 weeks before using if in a shower area. With this in mind should I wait 2 weeks before adding a sealer or can this be done earlier thanks

R

Robsud11

Hi everyone it's now been 12 days since the floor was grouted and I have noticed a couple of hairline grout cracks. We have not used the shower as yet or walked in the room either. Could the hairline cracks be because of grout shrinkage? What should I do? Thanks

I

Ian

What adhesive was used and what is the floor constructed from? Is the cracking just in the wet area or all over the floor?

T

Time's Ran Out

Remember the sealer is only to close the pores in the grout to stop penetration/discolouration and is not to seal any cracks that have appeared.
Some grouts do shrink on drying and this may be the case, but a repair/regrouting will be required before use.
Was this 'wet' room floor fully tanked and what preparation was done before tiling?

D

DHTiling

If you have used micromax and gt1 , and it is cracking. Then maybe there is a deflection issue?

R

Robsud11

I have had the tiler back and he reckons its just shrinkage. It's only a very small area where this has happened, other areas are fine but the grout has slightly shrunk a bit. No one has been in the room until yesterday and the hairline cracks were already there. It will be 2 weeks tomorrow since it was grouted. Its all been tanked correctly and he has used all BAL products ( flexible adhesive) sub base has 2 layers of 19 mm mariane ply and 10 mm therm board. A 1.0 x 1.0 wet board from topps tiles was used

Reply to Wet rooms in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks