Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Wet Room Tile Backer board in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

B

Billym

Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi, (first post so be kind!), I am a competent DIY'er and have done numerous kitchen and bathrooms refurbishments in my time, but the boss now wants a wet room!! typical! I wonder if I could pick your brains and experience on recommendations of tile backer board systems. There appears to be many on the market wedi,marmox, duckerbaord, orbry etc. From initial research it appears wedi is the market leader but I was wondering it it superior enough in your opinon to command the higher price?? as its a wet room I am not looking to 'penny pinch' as it will of course cost me a lot more when a cheap prodyct fails. ANy help or advice would be so appreciated

Billy

OP
R

Rookery

I use Jackoboard, it's easy to get hold of as TJ says above, its not expensive and it does the job fine. Comes will all the bits n pieces too.

Chalker

TF
Arms
Reaction score
A lot depends on the tray for that you pick. And budget.
As above , the schulter system is probably the best. But others, fitted correctly, will do the job very well.
Personally, I like the aqua4ma kit. It's very easy to fit.
On a budget, I would fit an insulation board type tray, like wedi. Jakoboard etc. Then continue this through the floor. Use it in the shower area too. Tape and seal all joints and tile.
On a tight budget, you could use water resistant plasterboard on the walls and tank it out. But that is the minimum.

OP
T

Time's Ran Out

@Chalker - do you not think it’s as cost effective and time saving to just use the Jacko/wedi type boards and tape all joints?
By the time you pay for 2-3 plasterboards, fix them, tape joints, buy tanking kit, paint it on, wait for it to dry, materials alone will be £80-90.
For 3 walls in an 800x800mm shower Jackoboards, washers, screws and tape, it’s about the same £80-90 but it’s an hours job and then ready to tile.
Just my view of course.

OP
D

Dumbo

@Chalker - do you not think it’s as cost effective and time saving to just use the Jacko/wedi type boards and tape all joints?
By the time you pay for 2-3 plasterboards, fix them, tape joints, buy tanking kit, paint it on, wait for it to dry, materials alone will be £80-90.
For 3 walls in an 800x800mm shower Jackoboards, washers, screws and tape, it’s about the same £80-90 but it’s an hours job and then ready to tile.
Just my view of course.
Do you use a self https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ tape on the joints and over screw heads and washers

OP
F

Flintstone

There is not really any difference between all the foam core boards like wedi and jackoboard. I normally use delta boards as they are available to me easily. I also have used the delta trays a couple of tiles and I think they are good, they use a dallmer drain which functions as they should and many options available. Use your chosen boards throughout and seal joints with tape. The self https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ tape is convenient but can you get internal corners in self https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ ? I usually use a paste and tape system to seal joints

OP
B

Billym

Thank you everyone, your help is appreciated. Jackboard looks good and reasonable, initially thought a bit too cheap in comparison to others, just need to find a stockist local to Cheshire now

OP
B

Billym

sods law, it closed last week and moved to Nantwich, but still not to bad! although jackoboard is not listed on there website,

Reply to Wet Room Tile Backer board in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
BIG_AL
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock