Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Wet room problems - advice? in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

O

ohms

Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hey folks,

Just looking for some advice on a wet room I have. Floor wise I have wooden joists overlaid with moisture resistant flooring (can’t remember exact thickness) with a kudos shower tray, overlaid with RIW membrane and screws over the non shower area before it was all tiled over. I have a kudos shower screen on one side.

I have two issues which need resolved - Firstly, a slight amount of deflection in the floor itself causing cracking of grout.

Secondly, the shower screen leaking water (on the other side of the shower) which is coming from base of the screen trim.

With regards to deflection, it’s slight (doing a test with a full cup of water and jumping around doesn’t cause any spillages, so any deflection is minor), but it’s enough to cause my grout to crack, in time. I’m in no financial position to have the floor lifted, extra support put in and relaid (my wife isn’t working and we recently had a child - money’s tighter than usual!). Grout wise BAL micromax 2 (smoke) was used - could I re grout some of the cracked areas with a different grout to maybe help this issue a little? (Maybe Superflex?) Or does anyone have any smarter ideas as to a possible fix that wouldn’t cost me £££?

And with regards to the screen, I’ve had water come up one the wrong side of the screen a couple of times now, it seems to be breaking down the silicone at the very base of the wall trim (or maybe the trim is cutting into the silicone?) and showing itself on the other side of the glass. I used CT1 silicone last time - is there something else that would be better suited for this? Not sure why it keeps happening! Should the trim sit slightly elevated from the floor of the shower?

Any help would be really, really appreciated.

Thanks!

Her s an image of the outside of the screen which is getting wet:

396DAC9C-D4C8-4D72-B80B-4E9046132165.jpeg

Here’s one of the inside of the shower, base of the wall trim:

A53EEE88-1E34-48F9-9237-CCFF87FE2F9C.jpeg

And lastly one of the cracking grout :(

56D75C56-47AB-4C1E-890F-251C08145F07.jpeg

OP
G

GoneGuy

The best bet is to lift it all and refit properly, otherwise anything you do to fix it will cost you more in the long run

OP
F

Flintstone

There isn’t a quick fix for wet room problems, if it’s not right, it needs re doing, sounds and looks like that’s the case here

OP
O

ohms

Leaving it as it is could cost you more in the long run.

Hence me asking for advice! I have no desire to leave it as it is, but I’m in no position to lift and refit.

The best bet is to lift it all and refit properly, otherwise anything you do to fix it will cost you more in the long run

Doing a little bit of regrouting or putting a bit of silicone isn’t going to cost me more in the long run though, is it? If you’ve got some constructive feedback, I’m all ears! :)

OP
F

Flintstone

It will not fix the problem, and the more you use it the more water is getting behind the tiles and into the bones of your house ultimately

OP
W

Waluigi

before you put your screen in there should be a bead of silicone done behind the wall profile. Every single shower screen manufacture recommends this.

Regarding the cracked grout. I suppose if you don’t want to spend the money then you could try siliconing the joints. You’re only delaying the inevitable though and not a single professional in the country would do it.

OP
O

ohms

Yeah, there’s a thick bead of silicone in behind the wall profile, but for some reason the water is breaking it down at the very base of the trim. Not sure why that’s happening - I even used CT1 - which is rather strong!

It will not fix the problem, and the more you use it the more water is getting behind the tiles and into the bones of your house ultimately

I don’t disagree with any of you - I’m merely looking for a fix until I can afford to permanently resolve the issue.

Reaction score
It's paramount that you seal the tray behind the profile, you don't have to lay a bead of silicone all the way up behind the profile only around where the screws go through. By the look of the picture you've siliconed the profile at the bottom on the inside, you must not do this as if any water gets in the profile it needs somewhere to escape.

Reply to Wet room problems - advice? in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
chris14498
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock