Discuss Weight of tiles 8mm + 10kg mirror OK On PB? in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
I am in the process of refurbishing my ensuite bathroom and on one wall I will be taking the tiles to the ceiling and also adding an 800 mm² mirror that weighs approximately 10 kg. The studs on this wall are spaced at 600 mm.
The question relates to whether I will need to strengthen the wall or whether it be able to take the combined weight?
Plasterboard is standard 12 mm on a metal stud wall and it is currently not plastered see pic) and so I believe it can take 32 kg of weight. Having looked at posts on this website I think the tiles + addy will be around 22 kg and then there is the weight of a mirror to add to this. The plasterboard has also had to be patched due to removal of original tiles; new piece was put in.
If i need to strengthen the wall then in all reality I will need to completely remove the PB from the whole wall and put in new metal studs. This will be a right pain to do, but it will also be serious PITA if I discover that the wall cannot take the weight down the line!
Hope this is not an inappropriate question to ask on here and would appreciate any advice. TIA

Attachments

• image.jpg
    214.3 KB · Views: 15
Reaction score
Your plasterboard looks as though it is skimmed and painted?

If so the weight limit is 20kg/m2 and you also need to remove all traces of paint.

If it were me I’d remove the existing board and start again. I’d also put in timber noggins wherever fixings are needed ( eg basin etc.
It’s such a small area there is very little cost involved and it’s quicker than getting the paint off anyway.

The 32kg/m2 is for naked plasterboard (not skimmed) you would then be fine for what you wish to do.

Elsewhere where you have patched the plasterboard I would remove this and add a timber batten screwed to the old plasterboard and then refit you new plasterboard- that horizontal joint between the two sections needs to be supported.
You’ll be surprised how much stiffer it will become and take the movement out of it.

Reply to Weight of tiles 8mm + 10kg mirror OK On PB? in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks