Discuss Weber Set Trade S1, real problems! in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

B

Blunt Tool

Exactly. I've used the same ply for years with no problems. The only thing I used for the first time was the Weber set S1 adhesive..never again.

You take a few up first to check for that.
Think you should go back to shop you bought it from and speak to manager,try and come to a comprise say 50 50 to cost of rectifying and never use it again. If manager not willing to then ask when the next time the area manager will be around or ask for his contact details and see what he says?

O

One Day

Few links may be of interest: http://www.cfa.org.uk/userfiles/files/Guidance Note - Plywood - v1 - July 2013.pdf

https://www.tiles.org.uk/wp-content...rnal-Ceramic-Tiling-Technical-Publication.pdf

I think you have a case against Weber. Contact your area rep and talk it through. Casually mention that it's a failure now being discussed openly on the uk's largest tile forum. Bad press - not good for business!

I can't link to the TTA technical paper - just google "tile association ply warning"
It's the first result...

Last edited by a moderator:
B

Billski

I did contact the tile shop manager who then put me on to the sales rep, who then came round with another guy to inspect it, who then set me this silly report about replacing the WBP ply with more WBP ply. Don't seem to be getting anywhere.
Monday morning I will try and get a spec sheet for the ply from my builders merchants and then email that over to Weber.
It would seem Weber don't know what they're talking about with the ply.

J

J Sid

one lesson to be leant here, never guess and say "I think its" this or that.

if you'd said the ply was WBP and the adhesive stated it was suitable for fixing tiles to this type of ply you would have put weber in a difference position. You gave them an easy get out.

in my opinion you should have made weber take a tile plus adhesive and a section of the ply floor to be tested keeping a bit of what they took.

then you could retile the floor using different adhesive / method.
personally, ARDEX af200 uncoupling membrane then tile.

B

Billski

Yes I should have got the spec for the ply first. And yes I gave the rep a sample of tile and a sample of the ply which they took away and tested. So I'm told.m

V

Versatile

Wbp stands weather and boil proof
Which I believe relates to the glue used to bond the ply together

A

AndY mac

Before I started using s1 trade I checked with weber tech they said the only difference with trade and SPF is the trade has recycled cement in the formula. But have never used it on ply.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Few links may be of interest: http://www.cfa.org.uk/userfiles/files/Guidance Note - Plywood - v1 - July 2013.pdf

https://www.tiles.org.uk/wp-content...rnal-Ceramic-Tiling-Technical-Publication.pdf

I think you have a case against Weber. Contact your area rep and talk it through. Casually mention that it's a failure now being discussed openly on the uk's largest tile forum. Bad press - not good for business!

I can't link to the TTA technical paper - just google "tile association ply warning"
It's the first result...
Fixed.

Reaction score
Watched this thread with interest.

local C*T shop is selling this "weber trade "S1" salesguy there was stating thats its the same as weber spf but without the low dust.......

bit naughty i think.

aussie tiling

TF
Arms
Reaction score
for new installations l use hardie structural board, failing that when going on existing timber 6mm hardie, lve never tried no more ply but looks like an easier system to use with there glue

Reply to Weber Set Trade S1, real problems! in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks