Discuss Weber Set Trade S1, real problems! in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

dynamictiling

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
I am reading this post with interest. Looking at the pictures it does look as if you have used enough adhesive but the adhesive has compressed and hasn't taken a bond to the ply.

Personally I would use the same batch of plywood. Do a control test, I.e use the same weber adhesive and fix one tile to the ply. Then use another adhesive (bal, mapei etc) and fix another tile to the ply. Make sure you use the same ply that is on the floor as that may prove the ply is at fault, if however one of the other adhesives take to the ply then the weber adhesive is at fault.

Hope you can get this sorted out.

Reaction score
I had had the same thing happen a couple of weeks ago on a small bathroom floor using Webber trade adhesive at the time I didn't think it was the adhesive just thought the ply was dusty I tiled it again using mapei had no problems after seeing this post I'm pretty sure it was a adhesive problem

O

Old Mod

Is it a coincidence or something else, but that adhesive is not listed on their current website dated copywrite 2017.
And if @impish says it's been around for 18months, shouldn't it be there?
It is advertised on Ctd's site tho.

D

Dumbo

Is it a coincidence or something else, but that adhesive is not listed on their current website dated copywrite 2017.
Do you think this is ctd only adhesive at a cost that they can make plenty of money out of it .

J

J Sid

My CTD sell a lot of it. apparently.... not to me, cheap is not always best

B

Billski

After waiting 7 days to even get anyone to look at this floor and then another 4 days I get this ridiculous email from Weber! I told them I'd used WBP hard wood ply which has Mahogany in it. They're telling me not to use ply with Mahogany in it! Now can anyone tell me of a hard wood WBP ply which doesn't have Mahogany in it??
My conclusion is if you ever have a problem with Weber then tough luck as they'll do nothing to help. AVOID THEIR PRODUCTS!!

Observations:
The tiles had been fixed to a high standard with a full bed of adhesive. The ply that had been used as a substrate was described to us as being a mahogany hard wood. The tile adhesive is our weberset rapid trade S1 product.

The Mahogany ply is also known as “luaun” and is not a suitable substrate for tiling. The veneered mahogany surface is glued to the board using water soluble glue which softens when exposed to moisture from the tile adhesive.

We understand that another manufacturer’s product was used to bond tiles to the ply and this worked with no failure.

Recommendations:
We would recommend that the ply is removed and an 18mm WBP ply used to replace it. WBP ply is water and boil proof and should be primed on the back and edges. The boards should be screw fixed to a joist or a noggin at 300mm centres. Tiles can then be re fixed with a solid bed method as used previously.

T

Tile Shop

Now, either I'm getting my wires crossed (high possibility) but I've been looking through various plywoods, google searches for WBP, hardwood, mahogany, all in 15-18mm......... the only mahogany I could find was interior grade decorative and NOT classed as WBP.

most I looked at would have been suitable were Eucalyptus, Gaboon, Teak.

Whats the exact wording on the back of the bag and do you have a link for the plywood you have used?

B

Billski

Firstly WBP doesn't actually exist any more. And I'm guessing it's Mahogany as it looks like Mahogany to me. All it says about structurel hard wood ply is that is is made from tropical hard wood, which Mahogany is.

B

Billski

Back of the bag just says to use WBP grade ply.
I've also used the same ply from the same company for years with no problems.

B

Blunt Tool

Back of the bag just says to use WBP grade ply.
I've also used the same ply from the same company for years with no problems.
I was told a long time ago if you wanted to check if you had good plywood or cheap plywood to take a sharp chisel to a small offcut and separate it apart if 1st layer going straight then next layer should be at 45 degrees, then next layer will be at 90 degrees, then next layer should be at 135 degrees etc etc and if you have cheap plywood it will be one layer straight then next layer 90 degrees then next layer back to straight. Because it is easier to manufacture and a lot less waste that's why it's cheaper but a lot less strength and more likely to delaminate and have problems with.

Kyle Knowles

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
It's a ctd exclusive weber gave it ctd coz better bathrooms was knocking grey spf out cheaper than ctd so they had to get sumat to match it .. That's what I've bin told form a little birdie

Reply to Weber Set Trade S1, real problems! in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Matthew77
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks