• UK Tiling Forum that lauched to the World. USA and UK Tile Fixers

Welcome to the UK Tiling Forum for UK Tiling Advice, and US Tile Fixers Advice, whether wall tiling or floor tiling advice, by Tilers Forums. The collective tiling advice forum. TilersForums.co.uk now redirects to TilersForums.com.

Discuss Water leak around bathtub edges in the UK Tiling Forum | Tiling Advice area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Alex20

-
Reaction score
We had the bathroom refitting over 2 years ago. We have been experiencing a recurring issue with water leaking through the gap between the bath tub and the tiles . Next to to the bathroom is a bedroom, and we have seen the water leak through the wall and the flooring in the next room. We have just been resealing the gap with silicone, however, its got to the point where we want to have a permanent or at least a long term solution as after a while the silicone doesn't hold and starts peeling a bit. We would love to be able to use the tub for a bath and not just a shower, however because of this issue we worry the weight will make the gap bigger.
We have had a half moon acrylic seals placed where the gap is, but we still have issues with the silicone peeling.
Are there any permanent/long term solutions to this ?
Thank you in advance

bath tile.jpg

OP
A

Alex20

-
Reaction score
Hi. Not an easy fix. There mustn’t be any seal between the bath and the wall for water to leak through to adjacent room. So you have any spare tiles ?

Thanks for replying back quickly. I see, what kind of seal do you mean? some kind of waterproofing? abd yes there are spare tiles.

CJ

TF
Supporter
Arms
Reaction score
Take side panel off the bath and check the feet on the bath........they could have worked loose

faceman

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Hi Alex, I had a moan at a builder today because in the bathroom I tiles the bath was only fixed to the wall with silicone. I have a rule normally that all baths should have a batten. This stops the corners especially being able to flex and dip. Its obvious when I'm tiling as the weight of my tiles is pushing the corners and I struggle to keep them level. If it has a batten it can go nowhere. A lot of baths these days are very flexible. I solved the problem by crawling under the bath and putting my own props in on the corners.

OP
A

Alex20

-
Reaction score
Hi Alex, I had a moan at a builder today because in the bathroom I tiles the bath was only fixed to the wall with silicone. I have a rule normally that all baths should have a batten. This stops the corners especially being able to flex and dip. Its obvious when I'm tiling as the weight of my tiles is pushing the corners and I struggle to keep them level. If it has a batten it can go nowhere. A lot of baths these days are very flexible. I solved the problem by crawling under the bath and putting my own props in on the corners.

Thanks, I think we'll have to check this, I am not entirely sure if the builder fitted battens.

Reply to Water leak around bathtub edges in the UK Tiling Forum | Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Replies you've not seen

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dazzer