Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Washboy Woes in the Tiling Tools - Tile Tools area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

F

Flintstone

Please checkout the following advertisement.
image.jpeg
got the washboy out today for the first time in a long time to give it another go. Still not having much joy with it. Creates a lot of foaming on the tiles and on the joints! Any ideas ?
I'm ringing it out a lot.

OP
L

LM

What make is the washboy, the sponge supplied might be of poor quality and thats why its leaving so much water on the floor,. Also depending on the grout, highly modified grouts will make the water foam up due to the polymer in them and need you to change water more often or use a rinse aid.
Your pic looks like too much water is being left behind by a poor quality sponge

OP
I

Italy

What make is the washboy, the sponge supplied might be of poor quality and thats why its leaving so much water on the floor,. Also depending on the grout, highly modified grouts will make the water foam up due to the polymer in them and need you to change water more often or use a rinse aid.
Your pic looks like too much water is being left behind by a poor quality sponge
same

OP
F

Flintstone

My one is a Genesis, with slots in. I hear so much good about them but never have any joy. Tilemaster grout 3000

OP
I

Ian

Looks like either the sponge is holding too much water or, the water in the bucket is due a change. I noticed this starts to happen with the darker colours when the water is too mucky, it quite often gets a foam ontop of it.

OP
F

Flintstone

No it's not new I've had it ages, it is bedded in! Very strange. I think by design your never gonna get as much water out as you are by ringing a sponge,

OP
F

Flintstone

Looks like either the sponge is holding too much water or, the water in the bucket is due a change. I noticed this starts to happen with the darker colours when the water is too mucky, it quite often gets a foam ontop of it.

It was happening after I had washed off about 2 meters worth! And just got worse and worse. I am pretty good at changing water actually it makes a big difference

OP
I

Ian

No it's not new I've had it ages, it is bedded in! Very strange. I think by design your never gonna get as much water out as you are by ringing a sponge,
There's a definite technique to running the board over the rollers, it needs an upwards flick at the end to squeeze that last bit of water out that holds in the end of the sponge.

OP
I

Ian

Yes, I know that manouver ha! Trust me I could not get a drop more out of it
Sorry I didn't mean to sound like I was teaching you to suck eggs :tearsofjoy: There's definitely something about the darker grouts that makes this happen, in most cases it's excess water in the sponge as when I press too hard it runs down the wall! It's possible that the segmented sponge is the cause, I've never used one so can't be 100% sure, try a solid sponge to see if it makes a difference.

Reply to Washboy Woes in the Tiling Tools - Tile Tools area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tiling Tools

Find the cheapest price for both professional and DIY wall and floor tiling tools in the UK. Brands such as Rubi, Genesis, Fein, Karl Dahm, isomat, Schluter, Tilemaster and more.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock