Discuss Wanting to make tiling my job in the General Off-topic Chat (nothing tile) area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Kaffee

-
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Just some ramblings here. I hope I'm posting this in the correct part of the forum.

I'm a desk job guy wanting to switch careers. Stuck in my current job, dreading to go to work, etc.

I've done a few tiling jobs for friends and family and it has been very fun to do. I love the work and how you can transform a room. The different techniques are fun to learn, etc.

I'm currently trying to work things out on how I would make the switch.

I have all tools needed (well except for very big tile cutters, but that's not a job I would like to tackle alone). Realistically, the only thing I need atm is a work van. I'd get started with a cheap second hand van and see if I can make the switch.

I'm not in the UK so most rules and or certificates don't apply here but I wanted to get some input from you guys anyway.

The biggest thing holding me back right now is having two kids. I know working construction can be time consuming (you don't want to clock 5 hour days and leave clients in a mess) but I also don't want to cut back on family time.

So just wanted to ramble a bit and hear some input from you guys how you combine all things (and for once not ask which cutter is best or diamond disc or primer or ... :p )

Warm greetings and happy holidays!

Dave

TF
Staff member
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
It is hard work and can be stressful at times being self employed but can also be very rewarding. Both financially and achievement. I’ve worked 7 days a week and early starts and late finishes but pleased to say i am at a stage where i have slowed down and generally work 4 days most weeks now but wouldn’t change my career at all.
If you have the heart then go for it.

Kaffee

-
Reaction score
Thanks for the insight! I don't mind the hard work but I'd think planning the kids (school and daycare dropoffs and pickups) might be harder than planning in the clients (if there will ever be clients :p) at the moment.

Reaction score
where I am from you don’t need to be certified to go out on your own. You do need insurance and, WCB. Both are a cost that you have to factor in. I recommend having insurance even if your local area does not require it.

I would recommend contacting some of the tile shops around you. It’s easer to subcontract from a shop, then directly deal with customers when you are starting out.

Kaffee

-
Reaction score
where I am from you don’t need to be certified to go out on your own. You do need insurance and, WCB. Both are a cost that you have to factor in. I recommend having insurance even if your local area does not require it.

I would recommend contacting some of the tile shops around you. It’s easer to subcontract from a shop, then directly deal with customers when you are starting out.
Hey! Thanks for the reply.

Over here we also don't need to be certified which helps with the timing but doesn't help with the "am-I-good-enough-to-make-this-my-business"-feeling :p

Currently working out all the costs (which indeed includes insurance)

I'm a bit hesitant to contact tile shops as over here the general feeling is people who work for tile shops aren't "good enough" to earn their own customers. But certainly a good idea!

Reaction score
Depending on the shop they will have your back. You can use them to find your first customer and, get your name out into the community. People here don’t care If you contract out of a shop or, find your own clients. Some people enjoy knowing that an installer has a larger company behind them if they are just starting out.

If you are good people will come to you. It’s never bad having different shops, builders, general contractor or, designer wanting your work. Do not limit your client base to start.

If you are finding customers right now that is great. You don’t want to be trying to work and find customers. It is better to have a few shops willing to offer up work. An you can pick what fits your skills and pay.

Reply to Wanting to make tiling my job in the General Off-topic Chat (nothing tile) area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks