Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss wall tiling across a doorway in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi all just wondering how you guys go about tile a wall with a door in it.

Options I can batten then tile up the right side then once above the door way i can then run a row of tiles on a batten across to the left. Then I would have to tile back down the left side of the door way.

Reason for the above was that id guess if I tiled up both sides at the same time its highly unlikely to line up or do you pros do that and just keep working to a laser line.

cheers

O

Old Mod

Just fix a baton below the first full tile across the door, sure you’ll have to step over it, but it’ll keep your levels true.
And once you’re happy it’s level across the door, then just cut out the door piece 😊
[automerge]1572116142[/automerge]
Personally I always leave over the door til the very last thing I do, if there’s any kind of drift in levels, as long as it’s one piece over the door, you can hide the change in levels. 😁

OP
C
Reaction score
Yeah I did think I could probably lose any difference over the door . I can't run a batten right across unless I do it from the 3 or 4 row. There's a bath on the left of the door and the right starts from the floor

Tony_C

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I do as @3_fall says about leaving it to last, depending on the tile size I also try not run a grout line across the top so any difference never meets anyway.

I rarely baton things but I just do as you said with the laser or a level and go up either side, I never tile down
You may need to tweak a grout line with a sideways spacer to help things along. When I'm up over the door I draw a line with my level where the groutlines should meet over the door and cut the tiles over the frame to suit that line. Hope that makes sense?

Last edited:
O

Old Mod

Hope that makes sense?

Not a word. 🤣

Tile up the right side to one full tile above the bath, set your laser to the top of this tile on the right.
Take a whole tile and on the left side above the bath place the tile on the wall so that the laser is is in the same place as it is on the right.
Mark underneath the tile in the left, and place a baton along this line above the bath, you’ll be more than close enough over the door.
Or do what I do, and just use one tile floor to ceiling, you can’t go wrong then. 😊

OP
C
Reaction score
Cheers lads , pretty much along the lines I was thinking.

You saying about one tile all the way, a mate of mine just had some tiles delivered on a job he's on and they look like 8 X 4s lol bloody huge things. Good luck to whoever's fitting them.

O

Old Mod

they look like 8 X 4s lol bloody huge things.

What like these?

These are 3.2m x 1.6m x 6mm

4AC6979B-8E03-4163-8A7A-32856F80593B.jpeg

U

Unused Account 1

What i do sometimes around a door is measure with spacers,how many tiles above the door,put your batten on the bottom ,then you can puta batten up one side to top of the door,cut a piece of batten the length of the tiles above the door ,then put a batten the other side ofthe door,basically frame it

Reply to wall tiling across a doorway in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock