Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Wall Tiles on Floor?? in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Sam_h

-
Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi Folks

Wanted some advice and thoughts on using a wall tile on the floor. The floor is a newly screeded floor.

The tile is a Porcelanosa ceramic tile 33.3 X 59.2mm (8.6mm thick) link to tile here

The spec sheet doesn't tell me the COF Rating (as its sold as a wall tile).

I know the general consensus would probably be no but wondered if in this case, this particular quality of tile could be used on the floor?

Thanks in advance, Sam

Dave

TF
Staff member
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
:)
Hi Folks

Wanted some advice and thoughts on using a wall tile on the floor. The floor is a newly screeded floor.

The tile is a Porcelanosa ceramic tile 33.3 X 59.2mm (8.6mm thick) link to tile here

I know the general consensus would probably be no but wondered if in this case, this particular quality of tile could be used on the floor?

Thanks in advance, Sam
Simply answer I wouldn’t. Its a soft white bodied wall tile. Not suitable for foot traffic

OP
S

Sam_h

-
Reaction score
Thanks Dave

I have an opportunity to get them quite cheap but wonder if it will be a false economy in the end. What's the biggest risk? them cracking? the floor beneath is solid and flat.

The technical sheets advises Breaking strength: >600 N (not sure is that's strong or not?!)

MECHANICAL FEATURES
UNE-EN ISO 10545-4-6-7-11
Breaking strength 1275 N >600N*
Crazing resistance Resists 3 cycles
Modulus of rupture 27.1 N/MM2 >=12N/mm2*
*ISO-13006:2018 UNE-EN 14411:2016

Thanks again, Sam

Dave

TF
Staff member
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
Thanks Dave

I have an opportunity to get them quite cheap but wonder if it will be a false economy in the end. What's the biggest risk? them cracking? the floor beneath is solid and flat.

The technical sheets advises Breaking strength: >600 N (not sure is that's strong or not?!)

MECHANICAL FEATURES
UNE-EN ISO 10545-4-6-7-11
Breaking strength 1275 N >600N*
Crazing resistance Resists 3 cycles
Modulus of rupture 27.1 N/MM2 >=12N/mm2*
*ISO-13006:2018 UNE-EN 14411:2016

Thanks again, Sam
They can be used but it’s a chance only you can take. Fully solid bed them and they might just be ok. The main issue is the wear on the face of the tiles. I personally wouldn’t do it.

Kevbos

Arms
Reaction score
Hi Folks

Thanks in advance, Sam
If you read the link you posted it says at bottom , it can be used as a wall tile .if you use it on the floor and it does crack etc you have no comeback .

Reaction score
Not ideal but if its your floor and you want to take the risk then crack on. If substrate is screeded concrete as you say then it's solid so they're not gonna move about. Just don't drop anything on them :eek:

Reaction score
Don't do it.

Not worth it.

Haven't you found any more suitable tiles that you like for the floor? Use the wall tiles somewhere on a wall.
Why? Just because they're ceramic and they're designated as a floor tile? Spec sheet for those tiles shows they're good for 600N to ISO-13006:2018 UNE-EN 14411:2016 specifications and when you consider the block walls in your house (if you have block walls) are rated at 7N or 3.6N if they're thermalites then those particular ceramic tiles are relatively strong, and the OP would be laying on a screeded concrete substrate so if he wants to lay them based on those specs then that's up to him and chances are they'll be absolutely fine. Text books are there for guidance but that guidance doesn't always suit a real world situation which is why we adapt a situation to suit the needs.

[EDIT]
I've misread the spec sheet for those tiles; The breaking strength of the tile is actually 1275N, not 600N, and that equates to over 286 lbs of force. If we look at standards in the states, ANSI requires a break strength of at least 250lbs for floor tiles and these tiles surpass that rating.

Last edited:

Reply to Wall Tiles on Floor?? in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
flooringdemand
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock