Discuss Wall tiles cracking in a line in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

T

Tile Shop

Hi guys, just thought I'd post an update. We took off the tiles that were cracked and can't find any underlying problems (pic attached). The wedi board doesn't have a join there, there is no hole, all seems to be fine as far as I can see.
So obviously the tiler is still blaming the tiles, the tile company are "looking into it", the plumber thinks the weight of the bath when full of water might have pulled them down and snapped them because they are such poor quality. All a bit of a mess!
I guess all we can do is replace the tiles at our own cost and hope that it doesn't happen again.

View attachment 107326
If the bath was pulling it down and if the tiles are of such poor quality, ask yourself, why haven't any more lines of cracks appeared? It's isolated to a single vertical position. But if that was the case, more tiles would have been affected. I guess the bath is not one tile's width?

Also why is the Wedi in such bad condition? we can see the foam, the mesh and adhesive appearing to have gone through and in between both. Did you have an issue before where tiles got pulled off and replaced or is that the state of the board after one round of fixing and removing?

And following on from @JulianSidney 's comment above, How thick are the Wedi panels, how far apart are the studs, and where are the nearest studs in conjunction to where the crack appeared?

Ben

TF
Reaction score
Not sure about the stud positions but the cracks all happened while someone was sitting in the bath, so unless there had been a lot of pressure applied previously that I don't know about I'd be surprised if it's just a weak wall.

That's the state of the Wedi after a single round of removal, should it be tougher than that? It seemed like the guy who's doing it is being careful chipping away at the tiles to take them out without damaging others...

T

Tile Shop

Sorry, just gone back to your first image. This is a masonry wall? so no studs? But weirdly the crack is dead centre of the board as well as being in line with the outer cut for the shower valve. Back to the drawing board.

As for the Wedi, I have seen tiles taken off it before but not seen it that bad before. I highly doubt the board will be faulty.

Ben

TF
Reaction score
Oh yeah, clearly my brain isn't working here! Yes it's not a stud wall, pipes had to be chased in in the first place. And as you say, the cracks were bang in the middle of the board. I'm now chasing the tile company, perhaps they really are stupidly weak. Has anyone had any experience with Walls and Floors? The shop is in Putney but mostly seems to be online.

T

Tile Shop

Experience? about 21 years and 2 months. I'm at the head office in Kettering. (ignore the Irish flag, I'm connected through a cloud). Although not currently aware of this issue. Let me speak to a few people including Putney and I will get your order details, tile code and dig a bit deeper.

It is very unlikely to be the tiles, not just saying that because I work for them, but tiles don't break for no reason and it will take a lot of force for a tile to crack in the way it has, whether they are ceramic or porcelain. Especially not in a perfectly straight line like that.

Leave it with me.

Boggs

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Hot water feed to shower is running where the tiles have cracked, I wonder if this has something to do with the problem.

T

Tile Shop

Wedi boards are insulating so would be surprised, but it is very odd that it is over where the pipe has been chased in.

B

Bill

Is it just me or does that wedi board look a bit strange where the tiles have been removed?

In some places the adhesive is behind the mesh - how can that be?

Boggs

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Do you have any photos of before the walls were over boarded but with the shower installed?

Did the installer screw the Wedi boards to the wall as he tiled up the wall or are they only fixed with adhesive?

Tony_C

TF
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
I highly doubt its the quality of tiles or bath pulling them down, that would surely only break tiles below and not above. Unless there was zero expansion gap for the silicone and even at that it would be the first row of tiles It has to be what is going on behind that Wedi, can't be a condicende its where the wall has been chased

Boggs

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I agree, there are 4 pipes behind there, 2 feeding the shower and 2 to the outlets.

Probably a good 100mm plus chase that has just been overboarded, probably with 6mm Wedi, wall has been leant on getting in the bath and tiles have cracked.

D

Dumbo

If the tiles have bonded properly to the wedi board it's going to look like rubbish when the tiles have come of , their is nothing wrong with the wedi other than possibly installation or thickness

T

Tile Shop

The wedi is 6mm, which is fine on a masonry wall. Not sure how much of an issue that would cause over the chased pipes though. Unless they are protruding and pressing onto the back of the board? The images are with Wedi at the moment being investigated. No response from them as yet. But may also be of benefit for a site visit.

Reply to Wall tiles cracking in a line in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks